Senior Temporary Works Designer
The candidate will lead a small team of TW Designers on the project to delivery designs to the construction teams & also review supply chain submissions, ultimate to assist the Temporary Works Design Manager & Sector Temporary Works Co-ordinators (TWC’s) in the delivery & co-ordination of all temporary works activities on the Enabling Works Contract. The post holder will ensure that temporary works designs are adequate and safely designed for construction, use & dismantle.
The Principal Designer’s primary task is the management of the design process from requirement (design brief) to delivery (construction) communicating via design check certificates, drawings, designers risk assessment’s & calculations to the construction team & manage the in-house teams workload / design reviews etc.
The role will work on the HS2 main works project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services.
- Ensure that a design brief has been established with full consultation is adequate and is in accordance with the actual situation on site, and ensuring all construction loads are considered;
- Advise the permanent works designer of any temporary conditions or loads that should be considered in the permanent works design;
- Ensure that the design, where required, is independently checked for concept, structural adequacy and compliance with the brief
- Ensuring SHE hazards and risks have been avoided or reduced in the design and/or check of temporary works and that the Delivery Team are aware of the residual risks to be managed.
- Ensuring the delivery teams are provided with safe, workable temporary works in timely manner to suit programme via in-house design or supplier/subcontract design checks.
- Delivery of technical support to the SCS Railways projects.
- Working in accordance with SCS Railways procedures for TW management.
- Temporary works design from brief to issue of final drawings.
- Preparation of Design Risk Assessments including the development of appropriate design mitigation and communication with others in the construction process.
- Temporary works design checking (including checks on supply chain proposals).
- Contribute to safety targets by pro-active leadership.
- Delivering value to SCS Railways clients.
- Develop relationships with internal and external client teams.
- Ensure process for temporary works management is applied fully and efficiently.
- Site visits to aid identification of temporary works requirements and preparation of temporary works design briefs.
- Contribute to the control of risk by identifying issues and providing appropriate responses.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by attending team meetings and contributing to the team development topics.
The Ideal Candidate
- Civil or Structural Engineering Qualification, preferably BEng or higher (MEng, MSc), minimum (essential)
- Extensive experience in Temporary Works design or Civil/Structural design
- Understanding and application of BS5975:2019 (essential)
- Thorough understanding and application of the CDM Regulations 2015 (essential)
- Membership of relevant professional body (CEng MICE or CEng IStructE, preferred)
- CITB Temporary Works Coordinator Course (preferred)
- Completed SMSTS (preferred)
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £4billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.