Reporting to the SCS Design Lead for Shafts in Area Central as well as the SCS Design Lead in Area Central, you will be responsible for the Design Management of 2 ventilation shafts on HS2 Lot S1 or Lot S2, ensuring the design is delivered to an acceptable standard of quality in-line with commercial and programme expectations.
The scope of design elements comprises 2 shafts incl. Civil works, headhouses, shaft fit out and relevant internal and external interfaces.
Working with SCS’s design partners, you will plan the delivery for your design elements, defining the detailed scope and enforcing a progressive approach to technical assurance. You will manage day-to-day interactions with internal (e.g. Construction Teams, Logistics etc.) and external interfaces, with the customer and third-party stakeholders (e.g. Network Rail, London Underground, Thames Water etc.). You will ensure the production of the design deliverables by our design partners meets the correct quality, contract, safety, time and cost requirements.
You will also work closely with the other design managers for shafts, to ensure coordination of design elements throughout the contract and to identify change.
The successful candidate must be willing to be based at an office located in Old Oak Common and parttime at the actual shaft locations
- Work closely with the relevant SCS Construction Manager to ensure that the design outputs are aligned with the construction strategy
- Ensure that temporary case requirements are taken into account in the design, and that any required temporary works designs are prepared
- Coordinate technical assurances requirements
- Track the progress of design documentation and facilitate regular reviews with the construction and client teams
- Assisting the Design Lead(s) in the review of design resources and outputs
- Ensure that relevant design management plans and assurance plans are adhered to, within area of responsibility
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Implement the relevant requirements of the Safety Management System within their area of responsibility
- Ensure that the Construction Team, Sub-Contractors and Suppliers receive or have access to copies of the relevant Health and Safety as well as Environmental Policy and are kept informed of relevant developments and issues
- Internal liaison with the Construction Team, QA team and Cost Control
- External liaison with HS2, Subcontractors / Suppliers and Stakeholders, close co-ordination with the Design Manager required
- Manage, mentor and develop junior team members and graduate engineers
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering (or related subject)
- Holder of a relevant professional qualification (IEng or CEng), or close to obtaining a professional qualification
- Experience of ground engineering or shafts (design or construction)
- Either, experience working as a design manager for a contractor on a major project or experience in project delivery/engineering for a contractor, is required
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, SharePoint).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Strong understanding of Engineering Principles and CDM Regulations
- Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.