Writer / Facilitator (Knowledge)
You will be joining a flexible team of Knowledge and Improvement experts, with a background in knowledge sharing, innovation and improvement techniques. The Project Improvement team is also part of a wider Operational Excellence team that includes Communications and our Culture & Collaboration teams, offering us a great opportunity to influence the wider project.
The role will be based in the core Project Improvement team, collating and editing valuable knowledge, researching good practice and lessons learnt from the wider construction industry and our Joint Venture (JV) Parent Companies, Skanska, Costain and Strabag.
The Knowledge Management Strategy you will be helping to deliver is to:
- Support teams to CREATE knowledge through facilitated communities of practice, pre-mortems, Lessons Learnt sessions etc.
- Provide the platform to easily SHARE knowledge, whether person-to-person or in written or other digital formats
- CONNECT individuals to knowledge, whether digital/physical or to other individuals that can offer expertise and experience
- Create a culture of learning across the project, where sharing knowledge is a rewarding activity that is valued
- Facilitate communities of practice (groups of project experts on a specific topic) to build relationships and apply best practice consistently across the Areas
- Edit case studies to ensure there is enough information to learn a lesson or recreate good practice
- Draft communications to share good practice and lessons learnt across the wider project, supported by the Communication team
- Log case studies and reports in the Knowledge Hub, ensuring they are retrievable by applying metadata
- Researching industry databases to identify good practice and lessons learnt relevant to project activities at the time
- Support the Project Knowledge Manager in identifying good practice and lessons learnt to be shared with Parent Companies, the client and the wider industry
- Support a culture of learning and champion the use of existing knowledge in decision making and planning
- Understand the client and JV Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Essential: Ability to facilitate workshops to get the maximum engagement from contributors
- Essential: A strong ability with written English to be able to edit or write from scratch and simplify often overly-complex concepts into Plain English for broader understanding
- Essential: Ability to carry out research of internal and external resources based on a defined topic and present findings with a summary
- Desirable: A passion for improvement and learning from what has gone before
- Desirable: Experience within the construction field so that terminology is familiar, or an ability to quickly grasp unfamiliar concepts and translate them into Plain English
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and
Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.