Utilities Quality Engineer
Skillset: Technical and Quality assurance
Job location: Close to Willesden Junction/North Acton stations
Accessible by public transport? Yes
Working hours: Weekdays
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
The Utilities Technical Assurance and Quality Engineer will support and report into the Area Central Technical Assurance and Quality Managers. The Engineer will work with multiple teams and guide team members through the construction and completion/handover process. The role will predominantly be site based, working out of Atlas and Victoria Road Offices.
Support on the coordination of the technical assurance and quality activities and systems to enable the Delivery Team, Subcontractors, HS2 and Supervisor on the Project. Tasks will include, but not limited to;
- Provide operational and functional advice on the practical implementation of the SCS Technical Assurance and Quality policies and procedures to the Delivery Teams and other supporting functions.
- Assist the Technical Assurance and Quality Managers in key tasks to assist in the development, management, implementation and monitoring of the Technical Assurance and Quality Management Systems and deputise when required.
- Work on Schedules and Reporting for Quality and Technical Assurance.
- Identify blockers on site and work with the SU team, SCS team and subcontractor to overcome them.
- Weekly progress reports for the team/Client, once diversions completed arrange for protection of new assets and removal of redundant services (or grouting if left in situ) ensuring all works are in strict accordance with the relevant Statutory and Regulatory standards.
- Manage QA/TA file production/cross checking with site.
- Ensure check sheets and records are completed on Zutec
- Review and acceptance of ITP’s on EMT and ITP check sheets on Zutec with Utilities team and sub-contractors.
- Maintain the Construction Technical Assurance Plan (CTAP), Verification and Validation Matrix (VVM-Requirements) and TIDP (Deliverables)
- Liaise closely with SCS Delivery and HS2 via joint site tours for progressive assurance meetings and handover.
- Ensure that testing and inspection activities are carried out in line with the inspection plans and Assist with Snagging Inspection of all works in strict accordance with SU requirements
- On site coaching and training where required.
- Communicate any non-conformances with the delivery team and Quality Manager
- Assist with carrying out surveillances, attend relevant meetings
- Understanding the Client and Joint Venture Partners’ Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company’s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Any other duties reasonably expected under the role.
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive knowledge of technical standards relating to the utilities industry.
- Experience overseeing the Quality and/or Technical Assurance aspects of infrastructure projects.
- Able to review technical information such as specifications, drawings and design information and apply this to operational situations.
- A strong understanding of site operations.
- Ability to influence key stakeholders such as clients representative, operational teams and supply chain.
- Experience in undertaking technical site inspections/audits.
- Experienced with reporting and forecasting
- Field capture of evidence.
- CSCS Card.
- Ability to review, verify and compile site handover and compliance documentation.
- Strong communication and influencing skills.
- High Level of Computer Literacy.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001:2015 quality management systems.
- Strong contract experience.
- Experience in Rail or Infrastructure projects.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.