Tunnel Surveyor required to support Tunnel Construction teams by providing survey related activities.
- Ensuring the TBM Guidance System is always using accurate reference coordinates at all times.
- Supporting the TBM Shift Engineers in resolving possible issues with the TBM Guidance System.
- Performing the TBM Guidance System total station move ups when required and in a timely manner.
- Performing the TBM survey window traverse to connect the tunnel survey control network with the TBM guidance brackets for guidance updates, in accordance with the relevant methodology and instruction.
- Ensuring the tunnel survey control brackets, benchmarks and spigots are installed in accordance with the relevant methodology and instruction.
- Performing the tunnel survey control network measurements, including terrestrial and levelling observations, and storing the data in accordance with the relevant methodology and instructions.
- Performing any TBM setting out duties, such as push frames, rails and launch brackets.
- Ensuring the survey equipment, accessories and tools are kept dry and clean and stored in appropriate conditions both on the TBMs and the surface store, when not in use
- Performing convergence monitoring and reporting for SCL works, including shafts, adits and cross passages.
- Performing asbuilt wriggle surveys when required.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
Required qualifications, skills, behaviors and attributes
- Degree in Surveying, Geomatics or closely related discipline
- At least 3 years, proven experience in a tunnel environment, preferable in SCL and TBM tunnelling.
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicate outcomes
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work a shift pattern and unsociable hours/nights
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £3.5billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident employer. We welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.