Tunnel Foreman for Northolt Tunnels East
Responsible for all safety, quality, logistical and technical matters regarding the tunnel drive of EPB TBM.
Will supervise all operations within the EPB TBM that are necessary to excavate and support the underground tunnel according to approved methods and procedures. Must have a complete comprehension of required activities within the EPB tunnelling to ensure they can effectively react to prevailing geological conditions encountered during the tunnel drives.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Responsible for supervising TBM Operators who maintain the line and grade of the tunnel according to the tunnelling guidance system. Ensure TBM operators maintain the designed parameters of EPB, face pressures and operate within manufacturers' guidelines and approved methods. This includes maintenance of face pressure within the bulkhead and screw conveyor. monitoring of specified thrust load to each ram or group of rams to avoid cracking of the segmental lining/monitoring of tail skin grease injection between the brushes of the tail sealing system/monitoring of grease consumption of the bearing sealing system to seal against face pressure, hydrostatic and annular grout pressure / volumetric monitoring of the excavated material per mining cycle to minimise the risk of over breaks/use of Soil conditioning agents during the mining operations in approved mixes to handle the geotechnical and groundwater conditions expected along the tunnel alignment. Communication this information back to the logistics and management teams.
- Responsible for supervising the erector operator who will erect segmental lining according to the building tolerance specified in the contract. The plane and the lips & steps of the segmental shall be within the specified tolerances.
- Responsible for implementing the annular grouting procedure behind the segmental lining. This includes the check of the approved pumpability of the primary grout before the start of the mining and the volume and pressure of grout injection through the tail skin. Control correct use of grout injection units.
- Responsible for execution of proof drilling and secondary grouting (if required).
- Responsible for Supervision of Mucking operations and spoil handlings within the TBM.
- Coordination of supply of tunnel consumables (Segments, segment accessories, Component A and B of annular grout, soil conditioning agent, tail skin grease, main bearing grease, ventilation ducts, supply pipes, walkways, rails, etc.) with Shaft Logistic Manager/ TBM Operator.
- Supervision of tunnel logistics and optimise the interface between shaft and tunnel crew.
- Supervision of works related to the extension of supply pipes, rails and ventilation ducts.
- Ensure the correct and safe usage of rolling stock and lifting equipment—supervision of all rolling stock activities in the backup area.
- Ensure that all transported materials will be securely fastened to rolling stock.
- Responsible for proper installation/ extension of emergency walkway within the tunnel.
- Assist Tunnel engineers regarding tunnelling shift reports and daily records.
- Checking and optimization of TBM consumables.
- Assist the M&E team regarding assembly of the TBMs before the initial drive and disassembly after completion of tunnel drives.
- Assist the team with regard to cutting head and cutting tool inspection.
- Responsible for identifying all safety hazards and notifying the appropriate persons accordingly.
- Guide the tunnel engineers with their knowledge and experience.
- Ensure the safety of workers during construction in compliance with OHSA and its regulations.
- Awareness of the approved emergency procedures/ contingency plans/ communication procedures/ rescue plans. Shall be prepared to take charge of all emergency situations within the tunnel.
- Awareness of safety risks associated with Confined space.
- Monitor the worksite for unsafe conditions and unsafe acts.
- Maintaining good housekeeping and keeping all escape routes clear within the TBM, tunnel and shaft bottom.
- Maintaining the specified illumination within the tunnel according to the contractual levels.
- Awareness and participation of Method statements/ work procedures/break-in/break-out procedures.
- Perform daily safety and maintenance checks.
- Responsible for ensuring tunnel equipment's correct and safe operation and ensuring daily operators' plant checks are conducted.
- Recording and documentation of labourer working hours within the area of responsibility.
- Define labour requirements and support in the selection of proper candidates.
- Assist the QA/QC department with quality control and documentation.
- Assist the TBM Superintendent in promoting communication throughout the tunnel team.
- Hold and assist in delivering SOS briefings and TBT as and when required.
- Providing new workers with proper orientation to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the General Foreman/ superintendent.
- Accurately record and communicate the hours worked and operational issues.
The Ideal Candidate
- A strong understanding and working knowledge of Health and safety policies and Environment requirements along with the OHSA and its regulations.
- Previous TBM EPB Pit Boss role
- SMSTS Card
- Safety Critical Medical
- Tunnel Safety Training Scheme
- First Aid (desirable)
- Working experience in the implementation of major construction projects is considered to be an asset.
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Team player
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong results-focused leadership
- Ability to make critical decisions autonomously.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail
- Fluent in English
- MS Office skills, Word, Excel, Outlook and date inputting.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role