TBM Sub Agent
Skillset: Tunnelling / TBM / Engineering Management
Job location: Area Central (Northolt Tunnels East)
Accessible by public transport? Yes
Working hours: Shifts
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
Sub-Agent for NTE TBM Tunnels.
Responsible for developing work plans, temporary work conception, managing and optimising the construction of TBM driven tunnels from installation to demobilisation. Responsible for ensuring health and safety is given the highest priority in the delivery of the works.
Project Documentation / Process
- Production and review of Project Documentation such as Risk Assessment and Method Statements (RAMS), Material Conformance Reports (MCRs), Safe Systems of Work (SSWs) – particular focus on high-risk activities to ensure adequate risk mitigation.
- Work preparation for TBM Assembly & Launch including interface with Suppliers, Design Team and Delivery Team.
- Carry out briefings such as Method Statements, Start of Shift, Safety Alert, etc. as and when required, and provide support to site engineers and supervisors alike to provide briefings.
- Production and compilation of Temporary Works design briefs. If relevant to your works, coordinate including follow through to installation and sign off for use.
- Production, review and implementation of Inspection and Test Plans and associated task specific check sheets in line with project QA requirements. This includes being responsible for managing Shift Engineers to fill out check sheet correctly and on time for delivery to Agent / Site office.
Safety / Environmental / Community
- Participate in and be willing to lead weekly SHE inspections and manage raising of observations in the appropriate format.
- Champion SCS and HS2 SHE initiatives, review of Weekly Briefings and communication of lessons from other project incidents.
- Ensure Quality, Safety and Environmental non-conformances are reported to the Agent in a timely manner. If required, non-conformance reports should be raised and actioned accordingly.
TBM / Site Activities
- Provide support and instruction to the Shift Engineer on TBM related issues such as TBM guidance, ring selection, face pressure, among other activities to ensure TBM operating requirements are adhered to.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the Permit to Tunnel / daily RESS and ensure any actions, controls or findings are implemented and followed accordingly by operators and supervision.
- In instances of absence of Shift Engineer due to sickness or holiday, be willing and available to act as stand-in as required.
- Observation of ground conditions, monitoring and review of material on the TBM conveyor belt and noting any changes, significant or otherwise, and communicate to Agent and capture on shift report.
- Co-ordination of crane activities including TBM assembly, launch and disassembly in conjunction with SCS Lift Supervisors and Lifting Coordinators.
- Be conversant with all drawings, specification and related information for the works under their control, asking for advice when unsure and speaking up when not complying.
- Provide assistance as required to ensure site team produce an accurate site diary detailing resources used, activities undertaken, and problems encountered during the shift.
- Understanding of programme and ongoing reporting of progress, providing accurate narrative on any delays, problems or delays encountered and identification of any opportunities for improvement.
- Create and contribute to a detailed four week look ahead programme as required by the Agent.
- Preparation, review and completion of accurate and detailed Tunnel Shift Reports at the completion of current shift in order to provide a clear progress of works to the following shift.
- Carry out weekly material reconciliations, forecasting of consumable usage, monitoring through completing regular site stock takes and provide report to the Agent.
- Efficient procurement and management of materials using the correct platforms and with a good understanding of correct cost codes and allocation as such.
- Assist in optimization of drive site layout and setup to maximize TBM efficiency of operation through a good understanding of TBM operation, mechanics, process and dynamic.
- Understanding the scope of the works and identify change as it arises and acting accordingly.
- Management of sub-contractors involved in the works. This includes as detailed understanding of the contract scope, tracking of productivity against their programme, daily reporting on the day’s activities, hours and resources of any additional works outside of contract works, impact of any delays both as a record of the subcontractor but also SCS programme.
- Promoting the pursuit of excellence and continuous improvement, driving innovation, adopting best practice, standardizing processes and procedures.
- Miscellaneous and ad-hock duties as required by the job and requested by the Agent. A willingness to take on and manage challenging tasks as part of non-tunnelling activities during site commissioning, TBM assembly, down-time, TBM and site decommissioning.
- Maintain a proactive approach to problem solving in conjunction with the site team as required and reporting on solutions found.
Health, Safety & Environment as an Individual
- Ensuring health and safety is given the highest priority in the delivery of the works.
- Be familiar with and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies.
- Ensure that the Health Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures are effectively communicated to the workforce and implemented.
- Work collaboratively with the HS2 team and other contractors, subcontractors works packages to achieve the overall project goals.
The Ideal Candidate
- Engineering Degree/Higher National Certificate (HNC) or similar in a construction discipline.
- IOSH (Institution of Occupational Safety and Health) or SMSTS (Site Manager Safety Training Scheme).
- Several years’ experience as Shift/Section Engineer working in TBM driven segmentally lined tunnels.
- Application of survey control and TBM guidance techniques/systems.
- Relevant CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) card.
- Short-term planning and programming works.
- Temporary Works understanding and appreciation.
- Material and plant procurement.
- Proficient in written presentation of records and documentation.
- Thorough grounding in quality, safety and environmental methodologies.
- Engineering Degree/Higher National Certificate (HNC) or similar in Tunnelling, Mining, Geotechnical Engineering
- Certified and experience as Temporary Works Co-Ordinator
- Member of Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE)/Institute of Materials, Mining, Minerals and Mining (IMMM)
- Extensive experience as Senior Engineer working in TBM driven segmentally lined tunnels both in open and EPB modes.
- Extensive knowledge and application of Survey Control and TBM Guidance techniques/systems
- Experience in planning and programming multi discipline works, particularly within the tunnelling industry
- Temporary works innovation and design
- Good track record in cost control and opportunity identification
- Demonstrable record in SHE/quality risk assessment and risk mitigation
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role