Systems Safety Lead
SCS are required by HS2 to undertake System Safety activities for the S1/S2 scope of works in line with HS2 statutory obligations under the Railway and Other Guided Systems Regulations (ROGS), the Common Safety Method on Risk Assessment (CSM on RA) and Technical Specifications on Interoperability . This includes undertaking system safety hazard identification and risk assessments, identifying safety measures and evidence of implementation and the associated management plans and reports. It is currently planned that much of this work will be undertaken by the subcontracts however the responsibility for management, planning and integration between the sub contractors, remains with SCS.
- Maintain the System Safety Management Plan
- Provide leadership and guidance to the System Safety Team
- Liaise with design and construction leads and subcontracts to ensure appropriate System Safety activities are planned and undertaken
- Review subcontract deliverables to ensure sufficient quality.
- Provide advice on System Safety practices and procedures to Project Team members.
- Prepare and deliver briefings and awareness training to engender the appropriate system safety competence within the project team.
- Manage PRAMS, Human Factors, EMC and other related considerations.
- Liaise with HS2 with respect to System Safety activities.
- Report on System Safety activities progress and issues across the project to the Head of Assurance
- Liaise with the HS2 appointed Independent Assessment Body and Notified Body
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the technical assurance strategy, processes and systems
The Ideal Candidate
- Chartered Engineer or significant experience of working at equivalent level in a project environment;
- Extensive Knowledge and experience of the regulatory environment and statutory obligations relating to major rail infrastructure / construction projects or equivalent;
- Capable of working collaboratively and effectively with project delivery teams, management and the project leadership, clients, sub contractors, regulatory bodies and other major stakeholders, credible in building relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders;
- High standard of verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, able to effectively communicate technical assurance and system engineering concepts to variety of audiences;
- Awareness of the various disciplines involved in delivering major railway projects, their roles and responsibilities and their relationship to assurance.
- Good information management and analytical skills, able to quickly and efficiently seek out the relevant and pertinent points from large volumes of project information.
Desired qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes:
- Extensive experience of the application of system safety assurance processes in major railway projects.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.