System Safety Engineer
The System Engineering Technical Assurance Team is responsible for demonstrating that the works carried out by the JV meet the employers requirements as set out in the Works Information and Contract Requirements Technical. This includes ensuring that all work packages understand the relevant requirements, and provide the appropriate Validation and Verification that the requirements have been met.
SCS JV are required by HS2 in the to undertake System Safety activities for the HS2 London Tunnels scope of works in line with HS2 statutory obligations under the Railway and Other Guided Systems Regulations (ROGS), the Common Safety Method on Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM-RA) and National Technical Specifications Notices (NTSNs) . This includes undertaking system safety hazard identification and risk assessments, identifying safety measures and evidence of implementation and the associated management plans and reports.
The HS2 London Tunnels contract is currently progressing in a phased manner from detailed design to construction. SCS are required to manage the system safety activities through construction to final handover to HS2.
- Support the System Safety Manager to maintain the System Safety Management Plan.
- Liaise with construction leads and subcontracts to ensure appropriate System Safety activities are planned and undertaken across multiple assets on the project.
- Production and submission of asset specific system safety status reports to support the progressive assurance of the construction phase of the HS2 London Tunnels contract.
- Provide advice on system safety practices and procedures to construction project teams.
- Prepare and deliver briefings and awareness training to engender the appropriate system safety competence within the project team.
- Report on system safety activities progress and issues across the project area to the System Safety Manager.
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the technical assurance strategy, processes and systems.
- Support activities undertaken by the wider Systems Engineering & Assurance Team, to include but not limited to;
- Tracking system safety assurance deliverables by asset and project phase.
- Assist with maintaining configuration control in relation to changes imposed on the project.
- Contributing to Technical Assurance activities required to achieve L3 Certification.
The Ideal Candidate
- Exposure to, or an interest in Systems Engineering and Technical Assurance;
- Experience of the application of system safety assurance processes in major railway projects;
- Capable of working collaboratively and effectively with project delivery teams, management and the project leadership, clients, sub-contractors and other major stakeholders;
- High standard of verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, able to communicate technical assurance and system engineering concepts to construction teams;
- Awareness of the various disciplines involved in delivering major railway projects, their roles and responsibilities and their relationship to assurance.
- Good information management and analytical skills, able to quickly and efficiently seek out the relevant and pertinent points from large volumes of project information.
- Experienced in the use project information tools and management systems including MS Office and web-based collaboration technologies for project information and process management, such as Enterprise Bentley, Projectwise or similar.
- Familiarity with requirements management tools, particularly IBM Rational DOORS;
- Good attention to detail.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services.
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.