Sustainability and Carbon Manager
The Sustainability and Carbon Manager will be responsible for supporting the delivery of Carbon & Sustainability strategic targets. They will serve as a key point of contact with further project teams, providing guidance and steering in climate change & carbon (GHG) emissions, resource efficiency and overall environmental efficiencies and coordinating actions and deliverables related to sustainability. Engineering and material technology knowledge and experience in the construction industry very welcome.
This role will be based in the enabling functions team but will collaborate widely and support other project teams: construction delivery teams, procurement and commercial, etc. and also supply chain.
The Sustainability and Carbon Manager will be part of the the core sustainability team, reporting to the Sustainability and Carbon Lead, supporting with:
- Actively coordinating and providing guidance for the delivery of the carbon- & resource-related parts of the SCS Environment & Sustainability strategy
- Sustainability culture & awareness raising: collaboration & communication across project team & supply chain during the construction phase of the S1 and S2 HS2 Main Works Civils Contract.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- In-depth understanding of the of the carbon- & resource-related parts of the SCS Environment & Sustainability strategy and hands-on collaboration with various disciplines and teams within SCS for its delivery
- Support the project’s carbon management system, in line with PAS2080
- Identification, delivery coordination and guidance on key sustainability opportunities & innovations
- Carbon emissions quantification, comparisons and effective reporting,
- Multidisciplinary collaboration within SCS integrated project team on sustainability: design, engineering, construction, project controls, QSs, BIM, logistics, procurement, commercial & other functions
- Supply chain engagement, pre- and post- award of supply contracts: suitable input to contract requirements & tender questions, supplier response assessment, supplier coordination & progress monitoring during contract delivery and contribution to the SCS supply chain PAF (Performance Assessment Framework)
- Deliver sustainability-related communications & awareness raising
- Support the project’s CEEQUAL assessment and performance, as needed
The Ideal Candidate
- Background in engineering, science or environmental studies.
- Acumen of climate change and wider sustainability topics: decarbonisation over the life cycle of projects, resource efficiency, circular economy, design for durability, deconstruction and re-use, renewable energy & alternative fuels, sustainable solutions etc. in the context of construction
- Experience in working with a multidisciplinary team, taking a collaborative approach
- Experience in carbon accounting and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), preferably for the construction industry
- Set up & delivery of sustainability and carbon management processes within the construction or related industry
- Effective engagement with project teams and supply chain on sustainability matters
- Good analytical, presentation and report writing skills
- Prioritisation, organization & task coordination skills
- Passion for Environmental Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability and desire to positively influence and develop those around them
- Engineering and/or technical knowledge of key materials – particularly concrete and steel to help drive sustainability-linked decision making
- Prior experience in carbon management in infrastructure or similar construction projects in line with the principles of PAS2080
- Prior experience in BREEAM Infrastructure and/or CEEQUAL assessments
- Use of PowerBI, SQL, data management platforms etc. would be advantageous
- Project management and commercial awareness skills
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role