Site Engineer - Utilities
Support the Section Engineer in the Engineering requirements of the projects, to include the setting out of the works and continual monitoring of the progress and quality of the works LIAISING with the Works Manager/GF, and Agent/PM. Working within the Utilities team.
- Ensure that sufficient information is available on drawings and sketches to set out the works in accordance with the programme and to resolve any inconsistencies in the information provided including feedback on any changes made
- Setting out the works in accordance with the contract requirements before work is programmed to commence.
- Arrange and allow time for independent checking where required.
- Develop 4-weekly programmes with section engineer and simple benchmark productivity measures for the workforce and assess actual programme and productivity achieved for review at weekly progress meetings.
- Communicate with foremen, gangers, workforce and sub-contractors to ensure full understanding of information provided.
- Check the works during progress and on completion to ensure that it has been constructed in line with the setting-out information provided, measured and signed off before covering up and that information is passed to the QS and QA function.
- Communicate to the QA and QS engineer non-conformances and any instructions received from the client / designer / RE’s staff. Ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained.
- Taking off and site measures of materials to allow them to be controlled ordered efficiently and accurate reconciliations to be developed for the weekly review.
- Take receipt of materials and check description, quality, markings and condition before signing for and ensure that all tickets are passed to the section engineer for coding.
- Complete inspection and test plans, risk assessments and method statements for the control of the works ensuring that all necessary documentation, as required by these statements and plans, is produced in a timely manner.
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors’ attendance, and records of work related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team.
- Ad hoc duties as job requires
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification in a Civil Engineering allied subject or BETec in Civil Engineering and vocational training in Engineering
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system)
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
- Experience in utilities, ideally on an infrastructure project
- Experience in setting out
- Heavy civils experience, ideally on high value project
- Reinforced Concrete, tunnelling or piling experience advantageous
- Writing RAMS required
- NRSWA - desired
- SHEA gas, water, electric, sewage 1 day desired
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status