Take control of the management of resources within a section or area as designated by the Construction Manager.
Works to be managed in accordance with the Contract Programme, to best commercial advantage, without prejudice to the health and safety of employees, sub-contractors or the public at large and taking into full account environmental considerations.
Manage and drive the training and development of the Site Engineering team.
- Recruit, Manage, supervise, train and mentor the site team to enable them to optimise their work contribution.
- Review contractual agreements and develop design, working methods, programme and forecast costs with the Construction Manager, General Foreman and Subcontractors / Suppliers identifying any inaccuracies or inconsistencies, and feedback any changes made to the QA and QS teams.
- Develop programmes and forecast budgets, assess actual programme and productivity achieved and review weekly, taking action where appropriate, and reporting any changes to the construction manager and QS department.
- Be fully conversant with subcontractors contract conditions, develop job specific subcontract conditions and manage the subcontractors account with the QS team
- Requisitioning resources in a timely manner to ensure that they are correctly specified and readily available so as not to impede the construction programme.
- Communicate to the QA and QS teams non-conformances and any instructions received from the client / designer / RE’s staff. Ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained.
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors’ attendance, and records of work related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team.
- Ensure that inspection and test plans, risk assessments and method statements for the control of the works are reviewed, approved and adhered to.
- Keep abreast of developments in professional field
- Produce monthly reports for financial forecasting, monitoring and control of project cost
- Interfacing with internal and external stakeholders
- Key point of contact for clients for project progress
- Set the highest example for Health and Safety Requirements
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in a Civil Engineering allied subject or HND in Civil Engineering and vocational training in Engineering
- Experience as a site agent on major UK infrastructure projects
- Experience in leading teams
- Broad civil engineering experience to include reinforced concrete works, drainage, temporary works, excavations etc.
- Understanding of Engineering Principles
- Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training.
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management - SMSTS
- Lifting Appointed Person
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.