Shift Engineer Cross Passages
Skillset: Tunnelling / Sprayed Concrete Lining / Engineering / Surveying
Job location: Area Central/ Northolt Tunnels East / Victoria Road / North Acton.
Accessible by public transport? Yes (North Acton)
- Initially Mon-Fri, 24/5 12hr shift pattern
- 24/7 12hr During NTE CP Construction
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
Cross Passage (CP) Shift Engineer for SCS Area Central.
Responsible for one of the following CP related activities, taking a significant role in delivery as well as managing aspects of time, cost, and quality:
- Tunnel Setup and Ground Treatment (dewatering)
- Sprayed Concrete Lining (SCL)
- Waterproofing and Secondary Lining works
Will acquire technical (engineering/ tunnelling), leadership and project management skills and experience.
General / Performance
- Support the Sub Agent and Shift Manager in setting up and undertaking the CP related works.
- Ensure the works are conducted in accordance with the project requirements including health and safety, where this is not observed reporting the non-conformance to the shift manager or supervisor.
- Ensure all setting-out and quality control procedures are performed in a timely and efficient manner, so as not to impede the construction programme.
- Be conversant with all drawings, specifications and related information for the works, asking for advice where unsure.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with the Client and within the team promote an aim to exceed Client expectations.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
Project Documentation / Process
- Prepare the Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS), Plans and Procedures for the construction works with help and ensure that the work is being carried out as specified.
- Work with the materials, construction, and quality teams to complete Material Compliance Records (MCR’s) and Inspection and Test Plans (ITP’s) for the control of the works ensuring that all necessary documentation and check-sheets are produced in a timely manner.
- Complete a detailed shift report for each shift; logging all works completed, any issues during the shift, durations for each work activities. Shift report to be submitted to shift manager at the end of each shift.
- Compile start of shift briefings for follow on shifts and provide handover information to the shift manager at the end of each shift. Meet the oncoming shift engineer to carry out a thorough handover of information to allow continuous and efficient working on site.
Cross Passage / Site Activities
- Responsible for carrying out Tunnel Profile Control using the EDM/ Amberg system for both SCL primary lining and the shutters for secondary lining. Record profile/ shutter checks as per the ITP & ensuring all concrete testing/ early age strength testing is being followed.
- For the SCL works on site: checking the excavation is within tolerance, directing the thickness of the sprayed concrete lining, preparation, and completion of check-sheets to record all details related to the SCL works.
- For Waterproofing works, liaising and managing productivity of waterproofing sub – contractors, ensuring compliance and integrity of waterproofing layer, witness testing of waterproofing layer for bonding/thickness, ensure daily quality and safety inspection are undertaken and filled in.
- On a rotational basis, the Shift Engineers may be interchangeable between CP related activities as an initiative to broaden experience of Engineers, and allow rotation of work.
Safety / Environmental / Community
- Ensuring health and safety is given the highest priority in the delivery of the works. Be familiar with and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies.
- Ensure Quality, Safety and Environmental non-conformances are reported to the shift manager or sub-agent in a timely manner Participate in and be willing to lead weekly SHE inspections and manage raising of observations in the appropriate format.
- Work collaboratively with the HS2 team and other contractors, subcontractors works packages to achieve the overall project goals.
Commercial / Programme
- Understanding the scope of the works and identify change as it arises and acting accordingly.
- Reading of programme and feedback and reporting of progress, providing accurate narrative on any delays, problems or delays encountered and identification of any opportunities for improvement.
- Contribute to weekly material reconciliations, monitoring through completing regular site stock takes and support Shift Manager / Sub-Agent with any reporting on material stock take.
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors’ attendance, and records of work-related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team.
The Ideal Candidate
- Engineering Degree/Higher National Certificate (HNC) or similar in a construction discipline.
- Substantial experience within the Civil Construction Industry.
- Relevant CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) card.
- Survey / Setting Out experience
- Engineering Degree/Higher National Certificate (HNC) or similar in Tunnelling, Mining, Geotechnical Engineering
- Substantial experience with SCL or tunnel construction techniques.
- IOSH (Institution of Occupational Safety and Health) or SSSTS (Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme).
- Tunnel Safety Training Scheme (TSTS)
- CAD software experience
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role