Senior Temporary Works Designer
You will be part of the temporary work design team based in West Ruislip and you will interact with external TW designers from the JV parent companies and through the supply chain.
Reporting to the TW Design Manager you will ensure that TW designs are adequate and safely designed for construction, use and dismantling, and that development and delivery of TW designs are in accordance with the SCS Programme Temporary Works Procedure.
The Senior TW designer’s primary task is the production of TW Design from requirement (design brief) to delivery (construction) communicating via design check certificates, drawings, designers risk assessment’s & calculation to the construction team. You will also be required from to collaborate with the site team and develop, conceptualise and value engineer temporary works prior to the development of the brief.
The role also includes the support, training and mentoring of temporary works designers and graduates working in the Technical Services department.
The HS2 Main Civils Contracts include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The Main Civils contract is a £multi-billion project with the works due for completion in 2025.
Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
- Ensure the delivery teams are provided with safe, workable temporary works in timely manner to suit programme via in-house design or supplier/subcontract design checks.
- Ensure SCS JV process for temporary works management is applied fully and efficiently.
- Develop the in-house TW design team individuals and team capability.
- Contribute to SCS JV safety targets by pro-active leadership.
- Develop positive working relationships with internal and external client teams.
- Carry out TW designs from brief to issue of final drawings.
- Carry out TW design review and formal design checking (including checks on supply chain proposals).
- Ensure preparation and review of Design Risk Assessments including the development of appropriate design mitigation and communication with others in the construction process.
- Ensure provision of technical support to the SCS JV projects.
- Ensure that TW designs are suitably categorised with respect to checking.
- With the TW Design Manager ensure the that upcoming TW are identified on the TW register and these are translated to the TW design briefs register for planning and production of TW designs both in-house and externally.
- Ensure that a design brief has been established with full consultation is adequate and is in accordance with the actual situation on site, and ensuring all construction loads are considered.
- Liaise with permanent works designers to resolve issues of construction method and buildability as necessary.
- Advise the permanent works designer of any temporary conditions or loads that should be considered in the permanent works design.
- Ensure that designs are checked in accordance with their category for concept, structural adequacy and compliance with the brief.
- Ensuring SHE hazards and risks have been avoided or reduced in the design and/or check of temporary works and that the Delivery Team are aware of the residual risks to be managed.
- Control risk by identifying issues and providing appropriate responses.
- Carry out site visits to aid identification of temporary works requirements and preparation of temporary works design briefs.
- Ensure compliance with current CDM regulations, Temporary Works Best Practice and all applicable technical standards.
- Contribute to the implement the SCS JV Project Temporary Works Procedure.
- Drive innovation in temporary works, including investigation, evaluation and integration of best practice and innovations from all SCS JV partners and the supply chain.
- Lead continuous improvement for the design delivery of temporary works.
- Deliver value to SCS JV clients.
The Ideal Candidate
- Civil or Structural Engineering Qualification, preferably BEng or higher (MEng, MSc), minimum (essential).
- Previous experience in Temporary Works design or Civil/Structural design (more than 5 years).
- Understanding and application of BS5975:2019 (essential).
- Understanding and application of current Eurocodes (essential).
- Good knowledge of the CDM Regulations 2015 (essential).
- Membership of relevant professional body (CEng MICE or CEng IStructE, preferred)
- CITB Temporary Works Coordinator Course (preferred).
- Completed SMSTS (preferred).
- Previous experience in delivering TW for Network Rail and London Underground (preferred).
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we