Senior Risk Engineer
Responsible for the execution, implementation, and compliance of the SCS Risk Management Plan within the delivery unit. Manages Risk Engineers and contributes to assist in the maintenance of Risk Registers (in Xactium database). The Senior Risk Engineer will report to the Area Risk Manager, providing quality reports that satisfy the project works information, Project risk management plan, including any additional insight and recommendations to ensure a resilient programme of works.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Assisting the Risk Manager in risk communications and improving risk awareness of the SCS project team (including subcontractors and suppliers) on the SCS approach to risk management.
- Implementing & monitoring the risk management process of the delivery unit
(Risk identification / qualitative and quantitative assessment / Risk Response planning, etc.).
- Close collaboration with and guidance of the wider project team by conducting periodic risk reviews to identify risks, produce assessments, and encourage identification and implementation of mitigation measures.
- Engaging with the different teams (Assets and Disciplines) to achieve an overall understanding of the project risks and their interdependencies.
- Assisting in conducting quantitative cost and schedule risk assessment (QCRA and QSRA).
- Produce multiple risk reporting in an appropriate way for different audiences (e.g., Project Area Director, Area Department Heads, etc.) to ensure risk awareness on all project levels, specific parts of the JV business and to individuals to understand their accountability for individual risks.
- Helping the Risk Manager to carry out audits of policy and compliance to Risk Management standards, including liaising with internal and external auditors and risk processes improvements.
- Providing support and training to staff and helping to maintain skilled resources within Risk Management department.
- Supporting SCS and HS2 delivery teams by collecting and managing risks associated to project change.
- Assisting the Risk Manager in supporting the apprentices and trainees.
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong communication skills at all levels.
- Resilient attitude to operate in a fast-paced environment with different personalities.
- Comfortable working in multicultural environments.
- Degree in civil engineering (desirable) or an appropriate risk related professional qualification.
- Prior experience in risk management functions on major projects.
- Experienced in performing quantitative cost and schedule risk assessments.
- Competence in risk management software, e.g. Xactium, ARM or similar
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role