Senior Quantity Surveyor - MEP
Reporting to the MEP Commercial Manager. The MEP Senior Quantity surveyor will be responsible for the commercial MEP fit-out across HS2 London Tunnels Contract.
Senior quantity surveyor responsible for both the Contract and Subcontract administration of Design & Build suppliers and will be working within the MEP commercial team but expected to work closely with all sections of the MEP Team.
The candidate will be self-motivated, disciplined and commercially astute with the ability to identify, analyse and develop responses to commercial risks, taking ownership and responsibility. Shall have oversight of the implementation and ongoing assurance that the project’s governance and any contract specific requirements are adhered to.
Good communication and customer facing skills are a must, along with working as part of a team promoting our JV culture and values. Will consider problems as a challenge, collect information relevant to the problem, be disciplined in ascertaining the root cause, identify and develop a practical solution, communicate the findings and implement action to resolve the problem.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Assisting in the Management of commercial personnel responsible for the following activities: Main Contract management and administration. Supply chain management (including supply chain contract administration). Commercial Document Control. Cost capture and control (including completion of the CLR). Commercial reporting. Planning & programme management
- Assisting with cash management
- Liaison and negotiation with the Customer’s commercial and / or project team
- Establishing and maintaining productive and collaborative relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Assisting the commercial manager in ensuring the necessary internal and external periodic valuations and reports are prepared and issued in line with deadlines
- Assisting the commercial manager with the Implementation of the commercial procedures and reporting to ensure compliance with company and contract requirements
- Ensure appropriate commercial records are maintained in line with the contract requirements and oversee any contractual issues.
- Provide guidance and support to the commercial team, and develop the skills and competencies of the staff to ensure successful succession planning.
- Commenting upon and drafting of subcontract works information, site information and tender documentation.
- Drafting Subcontract Data, selecting contractual options, drafting schedules of variations to contract, assessing subcontract scope to draft pricing schedules.
- Reviewing all tender documentation to ensure consistency and compatibility with contractual and project requirements.
- Assisting the commercial manager in settingng strategies for and responding to tender queries, leading mid and post tender interviews.
- Tender reviewer and verifying and validating of tender reports and recommendations.
- Reviewing subcontracts for governance and execution.
- Commercial support of significant subcontract packages through to final certification including change control and management.
- Assisting with Budget setting, forecasting and reporting.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Support the MEP team in the ECI subcontract through the design phase and contract negotiations with the subcontractor (s) for the delivery of the construction phase
- Support the MEP Identify MEP delivery team resource requirements to suit the needs of the contract and work with the Project People team to recruit necessary resources
- Input into MEP related procurement including identifying long lead time and high risk packages and products to secure the delivery in line with requirements
- Support the development and implementation of Stage Two mobilisation activities for MEP
- Support the development and submission of construction phase plans for MEP Works
The Ideal Candidate
- Post-graduate commercial experience in the construction industry with demonstrable track record of achievement
- Demonstrable financial and commercial acumen
- Proven negotiating and team-working skills demonstrating the ability to motivate, develop and lead teams to deliver to or above target levels of performance
- Extensive experience of drafting effective contractual correspondence and the facilitation of collaborative solutions
- Extensive experience of setting up and/or operating office management systems including filing systems and document control and distribution.
- Extensive experience of technical minute taking at contractual meetings and able to demonstrate the ability to collate information, prepare reports, payment certificates and interim financial reports and closeout reports.
- Demonstrable legal, contractual and construction knowledge and experience
- Experience in implementing and delivering strategic objectives and associated change programmes
- Experience of developing & implementing procurement and contract strategies
- Confidence and ability to assert influence
- A creative, strategic and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Practical approach, logical thought process and a methodical way of working
- The ability to constantly improve and evolve as a commercial leader, taking account of and enabling our company’s corporate strategy
- Strong analytical skills
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role