Senior Project Controls Engineer
Responsibilities of Senior Project Controls will vary from project to project but may include:
- Schedule development and management
- Resource planning and management
- Cost management
- Change management
- Earned value management
- Risk and opportunity management
- Project reporting – to the client and company
The Project Controls Engineer will support this agenda, and develop and produce reports as required, for example on progress, outputs achieved, critical paths, resources (including quantity tracking) and earned value.
Assist the Project Control Manager and/or Planning Manager to ensure effective execution of Project Controls on the project. Comply with company procedures to achieve close project control and accurate project forecasting.
Liaise and assist with internal and external stakeholders.
Input into the capture and monitoring of project risks, issues, mitigations and resolution.
Responsibilities may also include the capture and collation of actual hours expended by site staff and labour.
- Use the document control system to optimise distribution of information.
- Work with the supply chain to establish effective relationships and ensure continuous improvement in delivering programme and productivity
- Support the planning team to establish Earned Value Analysis (EVA) and ensure that monthly reporting is accurate, including any additional measures required under the contract.
- ensure that client reporting requirements are always met
- Work with the commercial team to ensure that the EVA and cost systems correlate and that the combined monthly reporting is accurate.
- Generate cash flow profiles in conjunction with commercial team and monitor
- Be client focused and aware of the client’s priorities and develop into the plans. Cascade a positive approach to meeting these down through the team.
- Establish and work to maintain robust open and honest reporting with all parties to ensure project meets targets.
- Have knowledge of conditions of contract, and ensure that project timescales are achieved.
- Participate in managing the project risk register and assigning owners to risks and ensuring that these are actively managed out. Likewise for opportunities.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Thorough understanding of Earned Value Management (EVM) terminology and practice
- High degree of proficiency in P6 Planning and Control Software, (including aspects of budgets and resources)
- Knowledge of the Engineering and Construction Industry
- Competent IT skills including MS Excel and the ability to use this to manipulate data and produce data gathering templates
- Good knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint including SharePoint Lists
- An ability to effectively interpret data and provide input on business process improvement
- Experience using data visualisation tool Microsoft Power BI, creating meaningful graphs and dashboards
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.