Senior Materials Technician
Working within the site laboratory, which involves testing of bulk construction materials including concrete, aggregates and bituminous materials.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
• Carry out testing on site and in the laboratory as required by the contract
• Maintaining high standards of work and compliance with UKAS accreditation requirements
• Comply with the site quality system for materials testing laboratory, including materials reporting
• Deliver results by deadlines as required by the Laboratory Manager
• Maintain equipment calibrations and notify the Lab Manager of any defects requiring attention
• To plan and organise junior technician’s workload.
• Train junior technician’ on tests and calibration methods
The Ideal Candidate
• Previous experience of working within a busy UKAS accredited laboratory
• Relevant CSCS Card
• Safe use of coring rig, an advantage
• NVQ3 or equivalent an advantage
• SMSTS or SSSTS an advantage
• Experienced in construction materials specifications and standards particularly earthworks, aggregates, concrete, and pavement construction
• Knowledge of ISO 17025
• Extensive knowledge of site and laboratory tests
• Supervisory and management skills would be useful
- Full valid UK driving licence (preferably with categories B + E for towing)
- Basic IT skills
- Flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts and weekend working as required
- Compliance reporting to Lab Manager and site teams
- Proactive in identifying problems / defects
- Work in difficult conditions and to deadlines.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high-speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high-speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.