Senior Engineer (Piling & Excavation)
About the role:
We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Engineer to manage piling and excavation works within a section of the Area East (Euston) delivery team on our HS2 London Tunnels Contract.
The Senior Engineer will be responsible for coordinating site piling and excavation activities with design house, clients and discipline teams including coordination in the design and construction of Land bridge and turntable..
This role will also be responsible for reviewing stage 4 design for the piling and excavation activities in Euston Scissor Box, liaising with design house, temporary works designers, submitting detailed Temp Works Design Briefs, managing interface with other assets during planning stages, identifying design and construction clashes and assisting the Construction Manager to mitigate these clashes.
- Manage, supervise, train and mentor the site team to enable them to optimise their work contribution
- Review contractual agreements and develop design, working methods, programme and forecast costs with the General Foreman and Subcontractors / Suppliers or any other party involved identifying any inaccuracies or inconsistencies, and feedback any changes made to the QA and QS teams
- Develop detailed site specific programmes and forecast budgets, assess actual programme and productivity achieved and review weekly, taking action where appropriate, and reporting any changes to the Construction Manager and QS department
- Be fully conversant with subcontractor’s contract conditions, assist to develop job specific subcontract conditions and manage the subcontractors account with the QS team
- Requisitioning resources in a timely manner to ensure that they are correctly specified and readily available so as not to impede the construction programme
- Communicate to the Project Manager, QA and QS teams non-conformances and any instructions received from the client / designer / RE’s staff. Ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors’ attendance, and records of work related discussions with Client / Designer / RE / Project Team
- Ensure that inspection and test plans, risk assessments and method statements for the control of the works are being implemented and adhered to
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies
- Implement the relevant requirements of the Safety Management System within their area of responsibility
- Ensure that the Construction Team, Sub-Contractors and Suppliers receive or have access to copies of the relevant Health and Safety as well as Environmental Policy and are kept informed of relevant developments and issues
- Internal liaison with the Construction Manager, Engineering Team, QA team and Cost Control
- External liaison with HS2, Subcontractors / Suppliers and Stakeholders, close co-ordination with the Construction Manager required
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in delivering piling and excavation works
- Degree level qualification in a Civil Engineering allied subject or HND in Civil Engineering and vocational training in Engineering
- Understanding of Engineering Principles
- Experience working within a design role
- Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training.
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Employer. We welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.