Senior Electrical Engineer - Tunnels
Reporting directly to the Plant Manager on day-to-day basis regarding safety, quality, productivity of electrical operations and to Tunnel MEP Manager; the Electrical Engineer will be responsible for all the electrical plant, distribution and services required for the construction of the Tunnels and Ventilation Shafts on HS2, S1 and S2 lots; scoping / compliance / specification / procurement / safe installation / maintenance.
- Safety critical role scope / compliance / specification / procurement / safe installation / maintenance of all Electrical equipment and electrical distribution, Surface, Tunnels and Shaft works – Temp site services and then tunnel construction works
- Compliance with Costain way Safe systems of works
- Oversee all the Electrical processes associated with electrical equipment and electrical distribution and associated activities
- Electrical Engineer will initially be the undertaking the following activities; Equipment work package specifications & procurement / electrical services specifications & single line drawings / site set-up / electrical distribution design and cable sizing / TBM assembly (inc FAT/SAT/Commissioning) / TBM operation and maintenance / surface and tunnel conveyor (assembly/commissioning/operation) / Grout Batching plant / Gantry cranes / MSVs / hyperbaric systems / surface & tunnel HV/LV distribution / lighting systems / communication systems. Cross-passage sub-distribution, including all equipment associated with SCL cross-passage construction, ground freezing, de-watering wells
- Produce and communicate the Electrical Operating Safety Procedures, including; Safe Systems of Work (SSOW), Risk Assessments & Method Statements (RAMS), Task Briefings.
- Produce weekly / monthly progress reports to the Tunnel MEP PM highlighting variances in the budget, production targets and KPIs.
- Develop innovative systems and processes to ensure maximum availability of equipment and safe systems of work at all times.
- Design / design check electrical distribution requirements across all shaft / tunnel construction sites
- Implement a planned preventative maintenance scheme and oversee the spare parts management.
- Maintain all records of inspections and maintenance (planned & unplanned)
- Close liaison with the immediate tunnel construction team on requirements and programme.
- Close liaison with wider Electrical team working on East, Central and West on requirements and programme.
- Close liaison with the procurement team to ensure electrical spares max/min stock levels are maintained.
- Close liaison with the SCS Safety team.
- Close liaison with Planning teams.
- Promoting and monitoring the roll out and implementation of SCS values and behaviours.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience in a similar level role, responsible for the scope specification, design, underground and surface temporary electrical distribution and all electrical equipment associated with tunnel construction.
- An accepted professional electrical qualification; Degree or HNC, HND in Electrical Engineering
- Qualification in Construction Management & Safety Management
- Strong leadership, communication and conflict management skills
- In depth knowledge of industry regulations for, construction and testing and commissioning of tunnelling electrical equipment and services (e.g. BS 6164 and Electrical Regulations).
- Experienced in tunnel drives and SCL works; minimum 5 years as electrical engineer, with at least 2 years as Senior Electrical Engineer
- Expert knowledge of products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards
- Experience of a self-assurance / self-delivery model of temporary electrical systems
Behaviors / Attributes
In addition to the above discipline role, the Electrical Superintendent / Supervisor (MEP) must carry out their duties in accordance with the SCS JV Core Values
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for
economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s
10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both
Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is
around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels
(TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks
and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility,
join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with
the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we
can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an
inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we
encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor
and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to
provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the
basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.