Senior Design Manager
You will be responsible for the management and overview of an area of works including a variety of design packages as a senior staff member. You will forecast and plan the design delivery and manage day to day aspects of third party design to meet the plan. You will manage the interface with the customer and third-party stakeholders. You will oversee the production of the design deliverables by the third party to the correct quality, contract, safety, time and cost requirements. Your role will include the management of in-house design managers undertaking management of various work packages within the sector.
Functional management will be via the Area Design Management Lead. The role requires the ability to self-start and progress with only minimal briefing required.
- Input into the appointment of designers which will include consultants, specialists and design and build contractors across a multitude of design disciplines
- Overall planning of the design delivery and contractual package management
- Leading the day to day management of the designers to programme budget, assurance and quality - providing the primary interface with the sector and work package teams
- Providing support to the designers in achieving the correct design outcomes
- Management of design risk
- Reviewing and contributing to the management of change where it affects design
- Close working with client counterparts in a collaborative manner.
- Managing other stakeholders on aspects of design
- Maintenance of schedules and trackers relating to legislation and clients’ procedures
- Applying and maintaining SCSJV, HS2 and statutory providers’ governance procedures
- Line managing Design Managers and Assistant Design Managers.
- Interface and manage internal departmental input to design for example H+S, Environment, Planning, Engineering, Community, Legacy, Technical Assurance, Commercial, Quality, BIM.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum HNC (or equivalent) in relevant engineering discipline (civils, mechanical, electrical etc)
- Design project management experience within construction
- People Management and stakeholder management experience
- Degree (or equivalent) in relevant engineering discipline
- Chartered professional and full member of professional institution
- CSCS card
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.