Senior Controls Engineer - Tunnels
Reporting directly to the Tunnel Plant Manager on day-to-day basis regarding safety, quality, productivity and to Tunnel MEP Manager; the Control and Communications System Engineer will be responsible for the integration, commissioning and maintenance of tunneling plant control, communication and environmental monitoring systems.
- Specification, procurement, and commissioning of environmental monitoring, CCTV and voice communication systems to facilitate the construction of the tunnels.
- Management of specialist subcontractors.
- Specification & Design of data communication networks, to suit plant and site requirement.
- Production of system schematic and control panel drawings.
- Commissioning of mechanical and electrical tunneling plant control systems.
- Attending FATs and SATs as required.
- Problem solving of tunneling plant control systems on as and when required, including interrogation of and modification of PLC programs.
- Integration of the TBM navigation and tunnel construction supervisory system with the Internet and tunneling plant.
- Provide engineered solutions to problems as required.
- Produce weekly / monthly progress reports to the Tunnel MEP PM highlighting variances in the budget, production targets and KPIs.
- Develop innovative systems and processes to ensure maximum availability of equipment and safe systems of work at all times
- Produce and implementation of Safe Systems of Work (SSOW), Risk Assessments & Method Statements (RAMS), Task Briefings and quality assurance documentation.
- Implement a planned preventative maintenance scheme and oversee the spare parts management.
- Maintain all records of inspections and maintenance (planned & unplanned)
- Close liaison with the immediate tunnel construction team on requirements and programme.
- Close liaison with wider Electrical team working on East, Central and West on requirements and programme.
- Close liaison with the SCS Safety team.
- Close liaison with Planning teams.
- Promoting and monitoring the roll out and implementation of SCS values and behaviours.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience in a similar role working with TBM tunnel drives, conveyors and SCL works.
- In depth knowledge of industry regulations for, construction and testing and commissioning of tunneling electrical equipment and services (e.g. BS 6164 and Electrical Regulations).
- Good knowledge of the radio communication, voice communication, CCTV and environmental monitoring systems used in tunneling.
- Strong knowledge of data communication protocols including, Modbus, Profibus, WI-FI, VOIP and Ethernet.
- Strong knowledge of optical fibre and copper data cable installation practices.
- Experience with fault finding and modification of PLCs programs, ideally Siemens S7, Herrenknecht TBM PLC system.
- Experience with configuration and fault finding of variable frequency motor drives.
- Strong leadership, communication, and conflict management skills.
- Degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering (or equivalent).
- Advanced MS Office skills including Excel.
- Expert knowledge of products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards.
- Experience of a self-assurance contract environment.
- Working experience with AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of tunnel ventilation system.
Behaviors / Attributes
In addition to the above discipline role, the Electrical Superintendent / Supervisor (MEP) must carry out their duties in accordance with the SCS JV Core Values
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.