Senior Acoustic Consultant
About the role:
The Senior Acoustic Consultant will advise the project on contractual and legal requirements regarding noise and vibration. Providing a key link between the SCS environmental team, consents team, and the construction team.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Provide support and advice to the SCS project team on all matters of noise and vibration. Assist with ensuring the compliance of construction works with HS2 works information, consents and Undertakings & Assurances relevant to noise and vibration.
- Preparation and input into the project noise and vibration management plan. Provide briefings and training where necessary to convey noise and vibration information on the project.
- Preparation of Section 61 consent applications, dispensations and variations. This will include the noise modelling and predictions as well as text required for the consents.
- Liaison with the delivery team programmers, construction managers and engineers to understand the works programme, plant requirements, and methodology to prepare consent applications. Provide advice and recommendations regarding Best Practicable Means and measures to reduce noise and vibration.
- Carry out attended noise or vibration monitoring and prepare the associated reports. Interpret and gather data from monitoring. Provide advice and recommendations regarding level exceedances in order that the impact of the construction works are minimised.
- Liaise with Stakeholders including local authorities along the route regarding noise and vibration, monitoring and consents. Attend meetings with the local authorities to discuss the construction works, consents and monitoring.
- Assist with managing noise and vibration risk on the project, applying applicable mitigations & communicating these to all relevant parties. Continuously seek ways to reduce impact through improved technology, awareness & education and behavioural management.
- Develop technical reports related to BS4142:2014, NI/TRH, vibration risk etc.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience (training and education) relevant to managing noise and vibration on major construction projects;
- Good knowledge and practicable experience of the Section 61 process and how to comply with them;
- Experience of liaison with Stakeholders including statutory bodies such as local authorities;
- Experience of preparing, obtaining and complying with Section 61 consents; and
- Be an associate or full member of the Institute of Acoustics (or equivalent competent body)
- High degree of professionalism and strong communication skills required for regular regulator engagement
- Demonstrates a passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability and desire to positively influence and develop those around them.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.