Section Engineer (Utilities)
We are currently expanding our utilities division and are recruiting for Section Engineers within utilities.
A Utilities Section Engineer is required to assist with the delivery of multiple works packages within Area West Utilities Team. The candidate will be required to ensure our supply chain are meeting our health and safety requirements, technical standards and completing required documentation on Utility sites.
The candidate will be confident in managing the engineering aspects of a section of the works, developing and reporting of section programmes and budgets and ensuring that the works are conducted in accordance with the project requirements including health and safety. Liaise between different site disciplines to ensure effective planning and use of project resources.
Manage and drive the training and development of the Site Engineering team.
The majority of the Utility mitigation works are outside of the main SCS compound areas. As such the candidate will be the direct link between the supply chain and the community.
- Managing and co-ordinating the activities of the site engineers to ensure all setting-out and quality control procedures are performed in a timely and efficient manner, so as not to impede the construction programme.
- Develop 4-weekly programmes with site engineer and simple benchmark productivity measures for the workforce and assess actual programme and productivity achieved for review at weekly progress meetings to include resource requirements.
- Complete inspection and test plans, risk assessments and method statements for the control of the works ensuring that all necessary documentation, as required by these statements and plans, is produced in a timely manner.
- Communicate with works managers, foremen, gangers, workforce and sub-contractors to ensure full understanding of information provided.
- Communicate to the Package Manager and QS regarding any non-conformances, and any instructions received from the client / designer / RE’s staff. Ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained.
- Procurement of Plant, Materials and Equipment through Requisitions.
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors’ attendance, and records of work-related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team.
- Adherence to project policies and procedures
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in a Civil Engineering allied subject or HNC in Civil Engineering and vocational training in Engineering.
- Understanding of Engineering Principles.
- Experience in Utility diversions and connections.
- Strong knowledge of HSG47 & NRSWA
- Technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
Presentation Skills Training (as they deliver inductions / briefings etc).