SCL Tunnel Foreman
Tunnel Foreman SCL for the Old Oak Common tunnels.
Responsible in managing all tunnelling works on site, taking a significant role in delivery as well as managing aspects of time, cost and quality. Manage all Pit Boss in the different shifts.
Assist Tunnel Agents and Tunnel superintendent with planning all tunnel activities, allocating resources to efficiently manage the job.
• Set personal example in safety and environmental matters complying with company policies and procedures.
• Supervision of Pit bosses/tunnel foreman and operatives within section.
• Communicate with rest of site team including engineers, safety officers and clerk of works to ensure full understanding of information.
• Work with line manager on plant, labour and programme.
• Ensure safe systems of work for the work you are involved in or near to.
• Ensure all lifting operations are managed in accordance with the SCS management system and are planned by the Appointed Lifting Person.
• Ensure access and egress to all working areas is in place and sufficient prior to any activity commences
• Ensure high standard of quality on your section of work, to at least meet the specification requirements.
• Check drawings thoroughly before the works commence, highlighting any concerns / problems to the site management.
• Work with engineers on setting out information and details of technical information, contributing to the preparation of method statements.
• Ensure all activities are planned and have a risk assessment in place prior to commence. Ensure RAMS are followed on site.
• Maintain daily dairies and allocation sheets.
• Ensure competency of the workforce in your section, including sub-contractors.
• Ensure all plant and machinery complies with relevant standards, for example LOLER and PUWER.
• Review plant, labour and materials on a daily basis with your line manager.
• Supervise and assist sub-contractors as required.
• Ensure all statutory weekly or daily inspections are carried out, e.g. excavations, scaffold, environment and safety.
• Ensure that plant and equipment is used only by those who have received adequate information, instruction and training. Assess competency of those who use plant and equipment on site.
• Deliver communication and training sessions, e.g. tool box talks, safety alerts and method statement briefings.
• Carry out other relevant duties as required from time to time.
The Ideal Candidate
- CSCS card.
- IOSH or SMSTS
- NVQ level 4 and CSCS Gold card
- Tunnel Safety Training Scheme (TSTS).
- Experience with SCL and other tunnel construction techniques –10 years minimum desired.
- Successful experience as a Tunnel Foreman.
- Knowledge of company policy and procedures including safety and environmental related issues.
- Able to read drawings and construct the works to them.
- Successful experience of working to a programme.
- Knowledge of current construction legislation.
- Able to keep written records.
- Demonstrated competence in a specific trade or work type.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.