SCL Shift Manager
Shift Manager for SCS Area Central.
Responsible for the SCL works on site, taking a significant role in delivery as well as managing aspects of time, cost and quality. Will acquire technical (engineering/tunnelling), leadership and project management skills and experience.
- Provide strategic guidance based on personal knowledge and experience of similar projects to inform and direct project and programme.
- Identify risk and opportunity, advise the Sub Agents appropriately.
- Be conversant with all drawings, specifications and related information for the works under their control and ensure a similar understanding within the team.
- Undertake and work with the Site Engineers to ensure all setting-out and quality control procedures are performed in a timely and efficient manner, so as not to impede the construction programme.
- Develop a 28-day programme to benchmark productivity measures for the workforce. Assess actual programme and productivity achieved for review at weekly progress meetings. This should include resource requirements.
- Communicate with works managers, foremen, gangers, operatives, and sub-contractors to ensure full understanding of information provided.
- Prepare and periodically review the Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS), Plans and Procedures for the construction works and ensure that the work is being carried out as specified.
- Work with the construction and quality teams to complete Inspection and Test Plans (ITP’s) for the control of the works ensuring that all necessary documentation and checksheets are produced in a timely manner.
- Communicate to the QA and QS teams’ non-conformances, and any instructions received from the client / designer / RE’s staff. Ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained.
- Procurement of Plant, Materials and Equipment required for each site through Requisitions reviewed by the Sub Agent(s).
- Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes / variations, subcontractors’ attendance, and records of work-related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with the Client and within the team promote an aim to exceed Client expectations.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- CSCS card.
- Engineering Degree / HNC or similar in a construction discipline.
- IOSH or SMSTS desired, SSSTS minimum.
- Tunnel Safety Training Scheme (TSTS).
- Experience with SCL construction techniques – as a guideline 2 years minimum desired.
- Temporary Works Appreciation desired.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.