SCL Plant Manager
Reporting directly to the SCL Leads (Core and Areas) on day-to-day basis regarding safety, quality, productivity of SCL M&E operations and to Tunnel MEP Manager; the SCL Plant Manager will be responsible for all the mechanical and electrical plant procurement packages, distribution and services required for the construction of the SCL Tunnels and Ventilation Shafts on HS2, S1 and S2 lots.
The SCL Plant Manager will be responsible for the management of Plant in accordance with SCS Way, standards, policies and procedures. The role will include running the Plant Management meetings with our supply chain and within our SCS team, recording all plant equipment in the area and keeping the maintenance records up to date.
- SCL Plant Manager will initially be undertaking the following activities; Equipment work package specifications & procurement / electrical services specifications & single line drawings / site set-up / (inc FAT/SAT/Commissioning) / operation and maintenance procedures/ Shotcrete Batching plant / Gantry cranes / surface & tunnel HV/LV distribution / lighting systems / communication systems. sub-distribution, including all equipment associated with SCL construction.
- Once all SCL plant procurement packages / expediting is complete, the SCL Plant Manager will assume the Electrical lead role for the SCL works
- Produce and implement the Electrical Operating Safety Procedures, including; Safe Systems of Work (SSOW), Risk Assessments & Method Statements (RAMS), Task Briefings.
- HV/LV SAP; with experience of managing / appointing AP’s.
- Produce weekly / monthly progress reports to the Tunnel MEP PM highlighting variances in the budget, production targets and KPIs.
- Overseeing the Electrical operations to ensure the key roles are staffed with people that are competent and can effectively and safely undertake their roles on the project.
- Develop innovative systems and processes to ensure maximum availability of equipment and safe systems of work at all times.
- Coordinate electrical distribution requirements
- Implement a planned preventative maintenance scheme and oversee the spare parts management.
- Maintain all records of inspections and maintenance (planned & unplanned)
- Administration and maintenance of all documentation associated with Plant Management.
- Attend weekly coordination meetings with the section within area Central.
The Ideal Candidate
Required qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes
- Experience in a similar level role, responsible for the electrical distribution and personnel.
- An accepted City & Guilds Apprenticeship or equivalent professional electrical qualification or HNC, HND or Eng Tech in Electrical Engineering
- Qualification in Construction Management
- Strong leadership, communication and conflict management skills
- In depth knowledge of industry regulations for, construction and testing and commissioning of tunnelling electrical equipment and services (e.g. BS 6164 and Electrical Regulations).
- Highly experienced in SCL works; minimum 10 years, with at least 5 years as Supervisor
- Previous experience as a Plant Manager
- Excellent communicator and influencer with the ability to build effective relationships with staff and supply chain
- Expert knowledge of products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards
- Previous experience working in a similar environment with Plant Hire companies
- Maintaining equipment managed by the project
- Experience of working on infrastructure projects
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.