SCL Engineering Manager
Role of the SCL/Shafts Engineering Manager
Candidates for Engineering Manager shafts and SCL tunnel must have a proven experience in SCL construction large-scale civil engineering projects. Your previous/background experience will give you the competence to make decisions on critical actions and act as a team leader.
The candidate will provide independent Engineering supervision of all shaft and tunnel related SCL activities in area Central. The SCL supervision teams of the individual asset will report to the candidate.
A practical and working knowledge of the relevant construction techniques as well as processes and procedures for the delivery of works with emphasis on, quality, assurance, survey and I and M disciplines in relation both temporary and permanent works activities are essential criteria for the candidate.
Knowledge and experience are the key attributes for the role along with strong interpersonal organizational team working skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively. The confidence to challenge is also a desirable attribute as the role will provide independent supervision to the Construction delivery team in providing guidance to them whilst maintaining a focus on deliverables.
The role will be embedded in the Engineering team and report to the Area Lead Engineering Manager.
- Leading a team of SCL Engineers and Geologists to provide independent SCL supervision, this includes technical guidance as well as people management
- Participating in CTC’s and other review meetings, reviewing and accepting the RESS when escalated from the asset specific Senior SCL Engineer
- Reviewing method statements, Inspection & Test Plans, EPP’s and commenting on sequence, constructability and application of the design intent
- Identify critical engineering interfaces in advance of the works to ensure that they can be managed to minimize exposure to unnecessary risk
- Identify weaknesses and opportunities for optimization of project programme through review and challenging established construction activity, sequence and constraints
- Promote best practice in safety management through application of risk assessment
- Provide guidance to the delivery team on the impact and management of Third-party interfaces
- Advise the permanent works designer of any temporary conditions, or loads, that should be considered in the permanent works design
- Ensure that any proposed changes in materials or construction are checked against the original design specifications and appropriate action taken
- Undertake constructability reviews and provide input appropriate to the nature of the works, review ITP’s, WPP’s, NCR’s
- Mentor site engineers, promote workface learning and professional development
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent knowledge of the principles of sprayed concrete and delivery of SCL on large scale Engineering projects (essential)
- Thorough knowledge of construction of buried structures incl. tunnel and shafts (essential)
- Appreciation of the practical application of dewatering techniques (essential)
- Appreciation of working in close proximity to live rail infrastructure. (essential)
- Thorough understanding and application of the CDM Regulations 2015. (essential)
- Civil or Structural Engineering Qualification, minimum of an HNC/HND, preferably BEng or higher (MEng, MSc) (essential)
- Previous TWC experience, desirable
- Good communicator
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role