The role of Quantity Surveyor is responsible for providing accurate and value generating input to projects. The role ensures that all commercial aspects are carried out in accordance with the contract, company policies and procedures, and to the satisfaction of the customer and/or contract leader. This role may work independently or under the direction of a more senior Quantity Surveyor. The QS will be able to demonstrate the ability to function as a member of an integrated team.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Inputting to the efficient and effective management and issuing of accurate, timely and compliant notices and correspondence
- Preparation or assessment of applications, valuations, cost/value reconciliation.
- Cost control and forecasting. Prepare and provide input to monthly reports: value, cost, profit/loss, cash flow and budget.
- Preparation and agreement of applications for payment or the assessment & preparation of payment certificates.
- Assisting with Risk and Value Management to optimise solution. Monitor and regularly review with the project team. Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Contract Management, including all relevant contractual forms, methods of budgetary control and relevant software applications.
- Prepare supply chain enquiries, negotiate, administer and finalise / close out supply chain contracts.
- Ensure all notifications/documents are managed in accordance with the contract, and customer / company policy.
- Ongoing liaison with site team, subcontractors and Customers’ representatives
- Undertake record-keeping including but not limited to collating site records, the preparation of meeting packs, meeting invites and taking meeting minutes
- Provide contractual advice to the project / site team as and when appropriate.
- Maintaining awareness of the different construction contracts in current use
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable financial and commercial acumen
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Practical approach, logical thought process and a methodical way of working
- A creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Experience of setting up and/or operating office management systems including filing systems and document control and distribution
- Experience of technical minute taking at contractual meetings and able to demonstrate the ability to collate information and prepare reports
- Experience of drafting contractual correspondence on behalf of the Project Manager and preparation of payment certificates and interim financial reports
- Experience of contributing to procurement and contract strategies
- Negotiating and team-working skills and the ability to motivate and lead
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrable legal, contractual and construction knowledge
- Confidence and ability to assert influence
- Hold an RICS/CICES accredited Degree (or equivalent) or enrolled on an accredited part-time post-graduate Degree.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role