The role of Quantity Surveyor is responsible for providing accurate and value generating input to projects. The role ensures that all commercial aspects are carried out in accordance with the contract, company policies and procedures, and to the satisfaction of the customer and/or contract leader. This role may work independently or under the direction of a more senior Quantity Surveyor. The QS will be able to demonstrate the ability to function as a member of an integrated team.
- Lead and develop the efficient and effective management and issue of accurate, timely and contract compliant documentation.
- Work closely with project management and engineering teams and liaise with Employers commercial team and client team.
- Produce documentation / evidence to demonstrate KPI achievement.
- Progress continuous own professional development.
- Competent in the application of IT skills to commercial management and the production of project documentation.
- Demonstrate and maintain commercial and technical knowledge and work closely with technical staff to develop appropriate techniques and solutions for the project.
- Assist with preparation of periodic progress valuations and claims for work completed.
- Produce monthly cost reports, forecasts, and contract budget reports.
- Maintain effective, accurate cost control.
- Ensure contractual and commercial risks and opportunities for realising efficiencies are identified to the Project and Commercial Managers. Ensure risk registers and contingency are accurately maintained.
- Review value management proposals.
- Effective and consistent implementation of the SCS Commercial Policy and procedures.
- Identify and provide appropriate, timely information to support change control process.
- Support procurement team through tenders including producing subcontract documentation.
- Manage subcontracts from initial placement of order to final account.
- Prepare, review and complete sub-contract documentation.
- Prepare and agree interim applications for payment.
- Prepare and agree final accounts with subcontractor.
- Maintain registers of variations, delay, extension times and claims.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
Required qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes
- Relevant Degree (equivalent) in Quantity Surveying or equivalent relevant industry experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong contract experience.
- Experience in Rail or Infrastructure projects.
- Experience of Itwo (or similar commercial control software)
- Problem solving can-do approach
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Employer. We welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.