The Quality Engineer is responsible for managing the independent site inspections and surveillances, liaising with the Client on inspection issues, ensuring the documentation is being produced on time, non- conformances are raised in a timely manner, reviewing documentation, and supporting the Quality Manager. Providing assurance to both the SCSJV Management and the Client that the Delivery Team and the supply chain are delivering the Works in accordance with the Works Information and the design requirements.
Working hours: 40 hours
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Be proactive in preventing substandard works being produced by coaching and providing training.
- Ensure that quality management is given the highest priority in the delivery of the works, to achieve right first time.
- Communicate with Delivery Team and supply chain to ensure full understanding of quality assurance requirements.
- Check the works during progress and on completion to ensure that it has been constructed in line with the Works Information and that the supporting quality documentation deliverables are produced.
- Active user of the SCS Zutec / TPC electronic quality record system to manage the review, collation, closure and packaging of the QA records. Mentoring and coach others on its operation and use
- Manage and communicate to the Quality Managers any non-conformances and defects.
- Carry out formal surveillances to ensure that inspection and tests are carried out in line with the work’s Inspection and Test Plans and Safe System of Work and that all necessary documentation is produced in a timely manner.
- Ensure the Delivery Team notifies HS2 and or the Supervisor of any intervention points.
- Provide support and holiday cover to the Quality Manager.
- In addition to the above discipline role, the Quality Engineer must carry out his/her duties in accordance with the SCSJV Core Values. Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Professional qualification - Degree or equivalent in civil engineering or an appropriate professional qualification.
- Member of IRCA or CQI will be advantage.
- Internal and External Audit training will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001:2015 quality management systems.
- Experience within quality related role on a major infrastructure project
- Relevant CSCS Card.
On-site training in Quality will be an advantage
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role