Plant Assistant / Buyer
This role is required to support Area Central on the management of Plant Hire using E1 and the Plant Book and working closely with the Commercial and Finance teams to ensure Plant Equipment is correctly tracked and paid on time. This role will also support the Plant Manager and Snr. Works Superintendent on reducing the risk of any lost or damaged hired equipment.
This role is partly being carried out by the Buyers with Finance carrying out the E1 On/Off Hire but each department is currently strained in carrying out other responsibilities and is not able to give it the full dedication the role requires.
- Procurement and management of plant hire in accordance with SCS Way, Standards, Policies and Procedures
- Supporting the Plant Manager / Area Buyer in procurement of plant hire and equipment to suit the needs and demand of the project and to ensure continuity of the works in accordance with the SCS procurement processes
- Maintaining positive relationships with all stakeholders involved
- Keeping record of all plant hire using the SCS Plant Book
- Issues robust enquiries providing clarity of SCS requirements
- Produce accurate and logical quotation comparisons to demonstrate best value
- Completion of all on / off hires on the project’s finance system including issuing of hire orders following the requisition process.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to resolve order/invoice queries
- Maintain the use of Key supply frameworks
- Complete quarterly supply chain performance reviews for material and plant suppliers
- Work with the Plant Manager and Area Buyer to improve levels of performance of the supply chain
Work efficiently and professionally during periods of pressure
The Ideal Candidate
Required qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes
· Previous experience of material and plant buying on a major project
· Experience of working on infrastructure projects
- Working knowledge of E1 procurement system (but will be trained on site)
- Demonstrable negotiating skills and securing regular discounts
- Excellent communicator and influencer with ability to build effective relationships
- Experience of working in contracting organisations delivering infrastructure project
In addition to the above discipline role, the S2 SCL Tunnel Engineer must carry out their duties in accordance with the SCS JV Core Values:
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.