Mechanical Fitter - ARLT
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Strictly follow and fully understand the Mechanical Safety Rules.
- Adherence to the Maintenance Schedule and to conduct maintenance and repair works in line with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Organize mechanical working activities for your shift.
- Ensure fitting work is correctly carried out in a safe competent manner.
- Maintain and troubleshoot hydraulic systems and circuits.
- Fault find and repair breakdowns on underground and surface plant.
- Working with and alongside your mechanical, electrical, and mining colleagues.
- Suggest mechanical improvements and help implement them.
- Assist towards improving the overall running of the tunnel mechanically.
- Willing to take on further mechanical training.
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and understand them.
- Be aware of the environmental constraints.
- Candidates MUST BE able to demonstrate a proven track record of production type setting, with a strong technical ability for applying their underpinning knowledge and experience to solving problems including new technologies and innovations.
- Experience related to areas including hydraulic systems, pressurized pipework, instrumentation and control, static and fluid design, testing and commissioning, and isolation procedures.
- MUST have strong interpersonal skills communicating technical matters, able to speak with employees, managers of different disciplines and senior management.
- Readiness to evaluate alternatives and make decisions even when all the information required is not available.
- A capacity to manage change, identify problems, their causes, and practical solutions.
- Ensure the equipment and machinery availability and overall utilization targets are met.
- Ensure compliance with project policies, procedures, and standards regarding finance, health and safety, quality, and human resources.
- Undertake other duties if assigned by the Mechanical Supervisor
- Carry out planned maintenance and be fully aware of lock-out procedures.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SCS Railways is a Disability Confident Leader. We want to encourage disabled people to apply for our roles and have an opportunity to display your skills, talent, and abilities. We will ensure that a fair and proportionate number of disabled applicants that meet the minimum criteria for this position will be offered an interview.
Please see the disability confident commitments:
To be considered for an interview under this scheme you have:
- A physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect (over 12 months) adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
- Demonstrated in your application and pre-interview stage that you meet the minimum job criteria and person specification for the role