Logistics Commercial Lead
The role is the Commercial Lead of the Logistics team (100+ staff) supporting the Logistics Project Director and directly leading and coaching a team of knowledgeable commercial staff to deal with the complex commercial issues of the project.
Senior Commercial Managers/Commercial Managers are encouraged to apply if they are ambitious and looking for a lead commercial role to develop into a Commercial Director.
The SCS Logistics team is an operational team across the entire length of the project interfacing with every site within Area East, Central and West and the enabling functions dealing with general logistics, international logistics, security, transportation of excavated materials by road and rail and traffic management.
The role has overall accountability for Supply Chain Management, Procurement, Accounts, Estimating, Project Controls and general Commercial Management functions.
Regular liaison with HS2 on Target Price development and other commercial matters
Regular liaison with other MWCC to ensure sharing of best practice, innovation and continuous improvement
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Accountable for the production of the Target Price Plan
- Accountable for the development and formulation of the Target Price to gain acceptance by HS2 Project Manager
- Accountable for the coordination of the all requirements for the Target Price Plan activities and submission of the Final Proposals for Stage Two
- Accountability for fully effective commercial and contract management, including budget forecasting, cost control and reporting, cash flow forecasting, change and risk management
- Accountability for satisfactory commercial close out of main and subcontract works
- Accountability for supply chain management
- Accountability for ensuring procurement meets the requirement of the contract and the SCS procurement strategy
- Accountability for ensuring that financial reports including applications for payment, earned value analyses, budget and cash flow forecasting are accurate and provide consistent, transparent and reliable information, and in line with contractual requirements
- Accountability for ensuring compliance with SCS procedures and contract requirements
- Accountability for ensuring appropriate commercial records are maintained in line with the contract requirements and overseeing the resolution of any contractual issues
- Providing guidance and support to the commercial team, and developing the skills and competencies of commercial staff
- Accountability for all matters relating to insurances relevant to the project
- Responsibility for interfacing with other disciplines to enable optimal solutions to be established
- Accountable for recruiting, training and maintaining resources within department and ensuring the right behaviour and culture of the team.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in successfully building, leading and managing multi-disciplinary teams and commercial delivery to time, cost and quality.
- Proven experience in commercial director or equivalent role or leading commercial functions and operating at senior level within large, complex programmes and or businesses preferably within contracting organsiations.
- Working knowledge of NEC contract and relevant experience in managing contracts, from strategic negotiation to operation, ideally within a large scale infrastructure environment.
- Self-motivated and confident with experience working under pressure and to tights deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and great leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
- A degree in Quantity Surveying, Civil Engineering or similar / Equivalent HND (not necessary).
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.