Lead Systems Engineer / Technical Assurance Manager
The Systems Engineering Technical Assurance Team is responsible for demonstrating that the works carried out by the JV meet HS2’s Employers requirements as set out in the Works Information and Contract Requirements Technical. This includes ensuring that all work packages understand the relevant requirements, and provide the appropriate Validation and Verification evidence to demonstrate that the requirements have been met.
The Lead Systems Engineer/Technical Assurance Manager will be responsible for planning the assurance and certification strategy for several Design and Construction Work Packages and agreeing the acceptance criteria with HS2, enabling them and to accept that the requirements and design intent being delivered by the SCSJV and its subcontractors meet the needs and objectives of HS2 and DfT as sponsor.
Flexible Working: this role can be carried out with a mix of remote/office working.
- Develop Technical Assurance Plans for specific Work Packages in collaboration with work package managers, subject matter experts, stakeholders and the employer.
- Undertake the planned technical assurance activities in line with the agreed technical assurance plans in liaison with those delivering the works. Activities will include monitoring progress of works activities, reviewing deliverables for evidence of compliance, raising issues where appropriate and negotiating corrective actions with those responsible for the works.
- Coordinate the certification activities for work packages to gain L3 certification from the Employer
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the technical assurance strategy, processes and systems
- Deliver technical assurance communications such as staff briefings and technical assurance awareness training
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Chartered Engineer or significant experience of working at equivalent level in a project environment;
- Experience of the application of system engineering and or assurance processes, preferably in rail infrastructure / construction projects or equivalent;
- Knowledge and experience of the regulatory environment and statutory obligations relating to rail infrastructure / construction projects or equivalent;
- Capable of developing plans and managing workload / activities and taking sole accountability for task delivery;
- Capable of working collaboratively and effectively with project delivery teams, management and the project leadership, clients, sub-contractors, regulatory bodies and other major stakeholders, credible in building relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders;
- Able to show resilience and tenacity whilst remaining adaptable and flexible when working under the pressure of tight deadlines and project change;
- High standard of verbal, written communication skills and interpersonal skills, able to effectively communicate technical assurance and system engineering concepts to variety of audiences;
- Awareness of the various disciplines involved in delivering major projects, their roles and responsibilities and their relationship to assurance;
- Good information management and analytical skills, able to quickly and efficiently seek out the relevant and pertinent points from large volumes of project information;
- Experienced in the use of project information tools and management systems including MS Office and web-based collaboration technologies for project information and process management, such as Enterprise Bentley, Projectwise or similar;
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 London Tunnels Contract. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.