Internal Communications Manager
The Communications Manager will provide business areas with strategic and tactical communications advice and support in Operational Delivery Areas. They support the Head of Communications and guide senior management teams to deliver inspiring leadership communication, provide strategic planning and messaging advice and devise creative communication campaigns that inform, motivate and change employee behaviours.
- Implement the overarching Communications Plan within Area teams
- Coordinate and manage communications needs for Area Leadership teams
- Develop and provide content for employee communications channels suitable for a range of audiences, some in dispersed locations with limited access to main channels
- Provide communications guidance to project and develop relationships with HS2 communications teams
- Provide content for – and contribute to the development of – the in-house magazine, intranet, external website, brand, identity and graphics
- Monitor social media and continue to grow SCS's presence on various platforms including LinkedIn in line with the Client's protocol
- Align campaigns with parent companies for project wide internal communication activities, ensuring clear, cohesive messages
- Research and evaluate social media analytics
- Develop content and maintain project intranet
- Project manage the delivery of communications material, working with internal departments on producing high quality visual communications
- Uphold the SCS branding guidelines in all communications and provide guidance on internal communication techniques and tools
- Develop collaborative relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and peers
- Feeding in appropriate information for the SCS newsletter
- Support and develop internal and external material for events working with event's organizer
- Collaborate with External Relations Manager and Brand and Graphics Manager as part of a collaborative team
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree or appropriate qualification – or - proof of plan to obtain appropriate qualification / apprenticeship
- Strong attention to detail especially in content and message creation, creative and marketing material
- Desirable experience in project or corporate internal communications, graphic design, illustration, infographics, or similar visual communications roles
- Strong written, verbal and visual messaging skills with the ability to communicate with people at all levels of the organisation
- An advantage, though not essential, is experience in a construction or infrastructure-related environment or one that includes a widely dispersed, project-based workforce.
- Ability to manage multiple communications plans, projects and campaigns simultaneously
- Ability to inspire respect and trust from the communications leadership team and other senior managers in the company
- Ability to collaborate and be a strong team player
- Good project management of own time and tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills including listening and influencing
- Not afraid to challenge / question the norm
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.