Health & Safety Advisor – Area West
The HS2 Main Civils Contracts include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels).
Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM driven), SCL tunnels/adits, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, utilities diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
We currently have a vacancy for a Health & Safety Advisor on our HS2 Main Works Contract.
Support the Health & Safety Manager in the management of H&S for SCS activities, including the implementation of the H&S Management System (HSMS) to ensure compliance with OHSAS 18001:2007 certification and with Works Information.
The position plays the key role in helping to establish and maintain the highest and where possible, new industry Health and Safety standards for the project.
- Understand the SCS Health & Safety Policies and Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the SCS operations and ensure that the requirements are implemented
- Provide operational and functional management advice on the practical implementation of the company’s H&S policies and processes including external stakeholders such as customers if necessary.
- Assist H&S Manager or delegate and Contract Management in understanding of stakeholders (internal and external) aims, priorities and risks with regards to H&S
- Assist, where needed, with the development of Health and Safety Management plans if applicable and coordination of review
- Provide operational and functional management with advice on the prevention of accidents, incidents and ill health
- Assist the SHE Manager and other members of the HSS team, in key tasks to assist in the development, management, implementation and monitoring of the Health and Safety Management System
- Undertake and/ or assist H&S Manager and/ or Contract Management in establishing, managing and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, HSE and others as required and directed
- Assist the H&S Manager and other members of the HSS team, in key tasks to assist in the development, management, implementation and monitoring of the Health and Safety Management System
- Provide advice, guidance and independence with regards to the assessment of and appointment of sub-contractors
- Assist with and undertake H&S surveillance where required of operational sites. Participate, as requested in parent company H&S audits
- When directed, assist if necessary with the preparation of H&S risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- Assist with the monitoring, analysis of and reporting of H&S performance. Utilise data to highlight areas of further consideration, evaluation and intervention
- Assist and/or manage the investigation of accidents, incidents, dangerous occurrences, near misses and other incidents as directed.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of H&S training/ briefings, as directed.
- Promote best practice, capture best practice and ensure it is fed-back into the business and parent companies
- Set standards and lead by example in the management of H&S
- Liaise with the other members of the HSS Team and the wider organisation with regards to H&S
- Maintain own level of knowledge and competency in relations to H&S Management and responsibilities including appropriate qualifications and professional membership
- Obtain competency cards in line with the SCS Competence Card Compliance Standard
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant experience in a Health & Safety/similar role
- Demonstrable experience within Heavy Civils/Infrastructure Health and Safety
- Tunnelling experience
- NEBOSH Construction Certificate
- Membership of IOSH - Tech IOSH
- Collaborative behaviours
- Major project experience
- Knowledge and understanding of working within a JV environment
- Safety, Health and Environmental Diploma, Degree or equivalent NCRQ or NVQ
- Membership of IOSH - Grad IOSH