Senior member of the site-based Environment team, providing the primary source of Environmental expertise to support delivery of the construction and handover phase of the HS2 Main Works Civils Contract. This particular role is part of the Area Central team and primary responsibility for two shaft sites, logistics tunnel and waste management site.
Skillset: Environment & Sustainability Management, Environmental Consents, Audit & Assurance
Job location: Atlas Road Logistics Tunnel Site, NW10
Accessible by public transport? Yes
Working hours: Weekdays
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the contract's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Provide operational and functional management advice to the design and construction team on the practical implementation of contract policies and processes. Provide specialist support to the commercial team for any scope changes, early warnings or other formal communications required with the client on environment matters.
- Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, particularly reducing Carbon and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity and CEEQUAL excellent rating.
- Provide advice and guidance, and where necessary assist with the obtaining legal consents, licenses, and exemptions. Maintain good working relationships with external stakeholders such as Local Authorities, Natural England, EA, Thames Water and others as required and directed.
- Ensure works are in line with the Environmental Management System, certified to ISO 14001:2015, ensuring it remains appropriate to all contract risks. Collect data, monitor and report performance against targets and drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team.
- Develop and manage program of inspections and audits, including targeted risk monitoring, both on site and within the supply chain. Assist with any external audits, parent company, client and certification bodies.
The Ideal Candidate
- Required qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes
- Environmental management experience in the construction industry, ideally large infrastructure projects in rail, highways or tunneling.
- Chartered Environmentalist, Full Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and lead auditor qualifications.
- Excellent organisation, communication and time management skills, able to demonstrate ability to successfully line manage and provide leadership and initiative.
- Project management and commercial awareness skills required.
Demonstrates a passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability and desire to positively influence and develop those around them.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £3.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.