Environmental Manager UT - Returners Programme
Return to Work programme
This role is part of our Return to Work programme, in collaboration with Women Returners. We welcome professionals with a career break of 2 or more years to apply.
You will be placed in a team where your skills and experience will be valued and utilised for an initial 6 month placement. We will provide tailored support to help your transition back to work. This will include a dedicated coach, a specific training and support programme, a workplace buddy and the opportunity to join our network of Returners within the project.
Senior member of the site-based Environment team, providing the primary source of Environmental expertise to support delivery of the construction and handover over phase of the HS2 Main Works Civils Contract.
This particular role is part of the Area West team.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- To learn, understand and drive the exceedance of HS2 environmental requirements in relation to utility works through innovation and active participation in procurement, design and delivery.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the contract's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Provide operational and functional management advise to the design and construction team on design assurance and the practical implementation of contract policies and processes. Provide specialist support to the commercial team for any scope changes, early warnings or other formal communications required with the client on environment matters.
- Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, particularly reducing Carbon and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity and CEEQUAL‘Excellent’ rating.
- Provide advice and guidance, and where necessary assist with the obtaining legal consents including section 61 applications, licenses and exemptions. Maintain good working relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, Natural England, EA, Thames Water and others as required and directed.
- Ensure works are in line with the Environmental Management System, certified to ISO 14001:2015, Construction Code of Practice and Site-Specific Environmental Management Plans ensuring it remains appropriate to all contract risks. Collect data, monitor and report performance against targets and drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team.
The Ideal Candidate
- Environmental management experience in the construction industry, ideally large infrastructure projects and utilities works with experience of working in the highway, managing mobile works in relation to Section 61 compliance.
- Chartered Environmentalist, Full Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and lead auditor qualifications.
- Excellent organisation, communication and time management skills, able to demonstrate ability to successfully line manage and provide leadership and initiative.
- Project management and commercial awareness skills required.
- Demonstrates a passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability and desire to positively influence and develop those around them. Innovation will be a key part of utility delivery on HS2 and as such the successful candidate should demonstrate a strong knowledge of technological developments in applicable fields and how they can be implemented with the operational teams.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £3.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.