Engineering Surveyor - Earthworks
The Engineering Survey team is employed to deliver the geospatial capabilities required to efficiently and accurately deliver the works in accordance with the contract requirements. As part of this team, the role of an Engineering Surveyor is to implement the Survey Managers and Senior Engineering Surveyors strategy to establish and maintain the site survey control network as well as deliver site survey information and quality assurance as required.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Delivery of on-site survey information, including; topographical survey observations, survey control network observations and geospatial monitoring observations.
- Ensure setting out and quality assurance of the works is completed in accordance with the contract requirements in a timely manner.
- Management and instruction of Assistant Engineering Surveyors, including briefing and guidance.
- Mentoring and training of Assistant Engineering Surveyors, apprentices and graduates.
- Implement current best practice to ensure that most efficient methods of engineering survey out are communicated and used throughout SCS.
- Advise the Senior Engineering Surveyor of resources required so as not to impede the construction program.
- Observing and advising Subcontractors for compliance with SCS survey procedures.
- Implement strategies, standard methods & procedures (SM&Ps) and time-tables that fulfil HS2 requirements
- Prepare relevant risk assessments with regards to survey works.
- Be responsible for the safety and wellbeing of themselves and their colleagues. Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies.
- Implement the relevant requirements of the Safety Management System within their area of responsibility
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
The Ideal Candidate
- Earthworks Experience
- Degree in Land Surveying or Engineering Surveying or ONC/B Tec in Land Surveying or Engineering Surveying or Membership of a relevant professional institution such as the ICES and extensive experience in the field of Engineering Surveying.
- Experience of Earthworks would be highly advantageous.
- Experience of machine control/ guidance systems would be advantageous.
- A willingness to working a shift pattern.
- Computer competence including experience of specialist survey software packages (Excel, CAD; AutoCAD, Microstation, Specialist Survey Packages; Star*Net, LSS, SCC, Cyclone, Scene, Infinity etc.)
- Extensive awareness of appropriate instruments and associated software for varied platforms.
- Understanding of engineering drawings, weekly programmes and relevant QA procedures
- Relevant CSCS Card and membership of CICES
- A commitment to punctuality is required to ensure timely delivery of Engineering Survey task in order not to delay the program.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.