We are recruiting for an Engineering Manager with experience of earthworks, excavation and structures.
Candidates must have a proven experience of large-scale civil engineering projects. Your previous/background experience will likely have been within Construction Project Management and now you are looking to use your depth of knowledge in support of others.
An in-depth knowledge of construction techniques and processes across, earthworks, earth retaining structures, RC structures formwork falsework above and below ground including shafts construction, drainage, structural steelwork, temporary works with an appreciation of both temporary and permanent M and E activities.
A practical and working knowledge of the processes and procedures for the delivery of works with emphasis on, quality, assurance, survey and I and M disciplines in relation both temporary and permanent works activities.
Knowledge and experience are the key attributes for the role along with strong interpersonal organizational team working skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively. The confidence to challenge is also a desirable attribute as the role will support the Construction delivery team in providing guidance to them whilst maintaining a focus on deliverables.
You will be responsible to the Area Lead Engineering Manager.
- Provide focus and leadership for the identification, initiation and implementation of temporary works with the Area Temporary works Manger / TWC and the construction teams
- Provide technical support to the construction delivery teams
- Input into the detailed design management system reviewing and providing constructability advice to both the permanent works designers, temporary works designers and the construction delivery team
- Identify critical engineering interfaces in advance of the works to ensure that they can be managed to minimize exposure to unnecessary risk
- Identify opportunities for optimization of project programme through review and challenging established construction activity, sequence and constraints
- Identify weaknesses in current construction logic and provide solution options
- Promote best practice in safety management through application of risk assessment
- Assist in the timely identification of temporary works requirements, solution development and selection
- Review temporary works design briefs prior submission for design
- Provide guidance to the delivery team on the impact and management of Third-party interfaces
- Advise the permanent works designer of any temporary conditions, or loads, that should be considered in the permanent works design
- Ensure that a satisfactory Temporary Works design requirement are sufficiently identified
- Provide input into the development of ITP’s to ensure that sufficient assurance documentation is identified to allow compliance with the project assurance requirements
- Ensure that any proposed changes in materials or construction are checked against the original design specifications and appropriate action taken
- Undertake constructability reviews and provide input appropriate to the nature f the works, review ITP’s WPP’s, NCR’s
- Act in a peer capacity to help develop the delivery teams programme of works
- Mentor site engineers, promote workface learning and professional development
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project
The Ideal Candidate
Required qualifications, skills and attributes
- Chartered (or near Chartered) member of the ICE or equivalent (essential)
- Engineering or Design Management experience (essential)
- Construction experience (essential)
- Temporary works experience (desirable)
- Management of ground movement experience (desirable)
- Understanding and application of COP’s and HSWA 1974
- Thorough understanding and application of the CDM Regulations 2015.
- Team player
- Good communicator
- Knowledge of heavy piling and D walling
- Knowledge of earthworks, excavation and bridge structures
- Awareness of the principles of sprayed concrete (desirable)
- Knowledge of RC concrete formwork and false work systems techniques
- Appreciation of the practical application of dewatering techniques (desirable)
- Appreciation of working in close proximity to live rail infrastructure.
- Act as a mentor to the construction delivery teams