Design Manager - Fire Systems
The Fire Systems Design Manager shall be assigned to work within the MEP Design Management team for the production of passive and active fire systems for detection, suppression and partitioning designs, including interfaces and integration across the programme for the Shafts and Portals.
- Interface with all Electrical, Public Health, BMS and Mechanical design activities including attention to primary and secondary services and commissioning needs
- Managing all design interfaces and coordinating the fire system components with the civil, architectural and building works
- Assist in the preparation of the work schedule for fire system Design activities, listing all document submittals and monitoring expediting the timely submission and acceptance of documents
- Work closely with the relevant SCS Construction Managers to ensure that the design outputs are aligned with the construction strategy
- Co-ordinate design constructability reviews
- Manage the fire system Design process
- Be responsible for the monitoring accurately of outflow and inflow fire system design documents
- Ensure that the works are designed in accordance with the contract requirements and that any deviations are recorded in writing between the Consultant and the Contractor
- Assisting the Project manager, Construction manager and Quantity surveyor in all aspects related to Mechanical Systems
- Identify design requirements for temporary works where they will interact with the permanent installations, including assistance to prepare solutions design
- Coordinate technical assurances requirements
- Track the progress of design documentation and facilitate regular reviews with the construction and client teams
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Assist with the implement the relevant requirements of the Safety Management System within their area of responsibility
- Assist with the design and design records to provide the information required for the Health and Safety files and processes, statutory and contract specific
- Assist with the manage and coordinate the design interface and integration fire system Services and other Design Organisations (premises, civils, L&E, track and tunnelling), PFIs and Third Parties
- Internal liaison with the Construction Team, QA team and Cost Control
- External liaison with HS2, Subcontractors / Suppliers and Stakeholders, close co-ordination with the Design Manager required
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification in Engineering (or related subject, or demonstrated suitable and equal experience)
- Experience working for a contractor on a major infrastructure project
- Substantial practical experience within delivery of Mechanical Services
- Proactive in resolving problems and project result oriented
- Ability to prioritize work in a high- pressure environment
- Enthusiastic team player, excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience across LUL, Network Rail, Crossrail
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, SharePoint).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Strong understanding of Engineering Principles and CDM Regulations
- Knowledge and Understanding of NEC (3) contract
- On site experience of the delivery of fire system engineering systems
- Experience working within a consulting organisation
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.