Community Engagement Officer
Reporting to the Community Engagement Manager, the Community Engagement Officer (C.E.O.) supports the project’s communications strategy and assists in developing plans for engaging with all stakeholders, the local community and the public, acting as a point of contact and the professional face of the project within a defined geographic area. The C.E.O. proactively protects the client’s, the company’s and the project’s reputation within the community, working alongside SCS delivery teams within the community to ensure stakeholder concerns are understood and addressed as far as possible, helping to ensure that the project overall behaves as a considerate neighbor.
The post will require an individual who can understand the needs of the project team having face-to-face contact with all different members of the community and local stakeholders whilst appreciating the wider context and the needs of the client.
The Community Engagement Officer is responsible for:
- Support the development of an integrated community engagement and public relations strategy for the whole project
- Assist in developing and delivering effective engagement and communications plans for the project within a defined geographic area
- Engage proactively with the interface and delivery teams to review construction impacts and minimise effects on stakeholders
- Support HS2 to promote a positive image of the project and raise public awareness of the benefits of the project
- Assist in the delivery of community engagement events, supporting HS2 by drafting materials, undertaking event management, e.g. drop-ins and exhibitions
- Support the Community Engagement Manager in coordinating external information and messaging via the full range of media channels
- Build and nurture positive relationships with all stakeholders, adding value to the delivery of the project, by being a good neighbour and embedding ourselves in the community
- Assist in identifying potentially sensitive situations, and report them appropriately within the project and client’s teams
- Record and respond to all complaints, queries, compliments and third-party issues and assist with periodic reporting
- Act as a ‘super-user’ for the Customer/Stakeholder Management database
- Support the projects compliance with the Undertakings and Assurances, assisting on delivering compliance for all community related commitments
- Engage proactively with local education establishments and interest groups, and work with colleagues in Skills, Education & Employment to identify opportunities for the community
- Assist with the delivery of the project’s Community Investment programme, working with colleagues to realise investment in legacy projects
- Proactively engage in wider HS2 activities, supporting collaborative opportunities and sharing best practice and lessons learned
The Ideal Candidate
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Experience of the construction/ infrastructure industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Credible communicator / presenter with large groups of people
- Proven ability in effectively dealing with conflict resolution.
- Proven ability to work under pressure
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.