Community Engagement Manager
The Community Engagement Manager (CEM) will be embedded into an area‐based delivery team to deliver the project’s communications strategy and develop plans for engaging with all stakeholders, the local community and the public, acting as the primary point of contact and the professional face of the project for the community within the defined geographic area, with specific focus on engagement to support the provision of secondary glazing and ventilation equipment for residential properties.
The CEM will report to the Consents & Engagement Area Lead for all functional
development, strategic direction and route‐wide issues, as well as HR matters, to ensure the needs of both the integrated project delivery team, the client and the local community are met.
The CEM will proactively protect the client’s, the company’s and the project’s reputation within the community, to ensure stakeholder concerns are understood and addressed as far as possible, helping to ensure that the project meets its obligations and behaves as a considerate neighbour at all times.
• Establishing and implementing plan for engagement to support the provision of noise insulation and supplementary ventilation for residential properties
• Support the development of an integrated community engagement and public relations strategy for the whole project
• Develop and deliver effective local engagement and communications plans for the project within a defined geographic area
• Work as part of an area delivery team to review construction impacts and minimize effects on stakeholders, and deliver training and briefings to support this
• Support HS2 to promote a positive image of the project and raise public awareness of the benefits of the project
• Lead the delivery of community engagement events within your area, supporting HS2 by drafting materials, undertaking event management e.g. drop‐ins, exhibitions
• Presenting key messages to the community through a variety of media, including leaflets, posters, webpages, face‐to‐face discussions, site visits and presentations at public events
• Record and respond to all complaints, queries, compliments and third party issues within performance requirements, ensuring at all times that messages are consistent and appropriate
• Assist with periodic reporting on community related matters
SKANSKA I COSTAIN I STRABAG
Community Engagement Manager JD Jul 21 2 of 3
• Build and nurture positive relationships with all community stakeholders to add value to the delivery of the project by being a good neighbour and embedding ourselves in the community
• Assist with identifying potentially sensitive situations and with reporting them appropriately within the project and client’s teams, contributing the development and implementation of effective emergency plans
• Support the projects compliance with the Undertakings and Assurances, assisting on delivering compliance for all community related commitments
• Engage proactively with local education establishments and interest groups, and work with colleagues in Skills, Education & Employment to identify opportunities for the community
• Assist with the delivery of the project’s Community Investment and Legacy programme, working with colleagues to realise investment in legacy projects
• Proactively engage in wider HS2 activities, attending contractor forums, supporting collaborative opportunities and sharing best practice and lessons learned
The Ideal Candidate
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Experience of the construction industry
• Experience in managing engagement to support the provision of noise insulation and supplementary ventilation for residential properties
• Relationship management experience in a community engagement role
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Credible communicator / presenter with large groups of people
• Proven ability in effectively dealing with challenging situations and conflict resolution
• Proven ability to work under pressure
• Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a multi‐functional team
• Capability of using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems
Desirable Qualifications & Skills
• Member of Chartered Institute of Public Relations; undergoing CIPR CPD process towards higher accreditation
• Media experience / training
• Capability of using Microsoft Dynamics
Behaviours / Attributes
In addition to the above discipline role, the Stakeholder Interface Manager must carry out his/her duties in accordance with the SCS JV Core Values:
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.