Business Improvement Director
The purpose of this role is to develop efficiency, innovation, systems and data strategies for the project, and ensure they are implemented to support the works being delivered efficiently and effectively in line with the works information. The Business Improvement, Systems and Data Team will develop the processes systems and culture to seek out, share, develop and support the implementation of best practice to ensure the project and partners maximise potential efficiencies, innovations and operational excellence.
The role also forms part of the Programme Integration Team and will be responsible for the successful delivery of the overall programme and success of the Skanska Costain Strabag JV as a whole.
This will be achieved through the successful leadership of the Business Improvement, Systems and Data disciplines:
- Project Controls
- Risk and opportunity management
- Business systems and improvement
- IT, technology, and digital services
- Operational excellence
- Innovation and efficiencies
- Full operational capability
- Collaboration and cultural development
Business Improvement, Systems and Data Team are responsible for:
- Project Controls, forecasts, reporting to ensure the successful consistent delivery of the works to the requirements of the HS2 Act, contract works information and SCS JV procedures.
- Managing interdependencies and coordination across projects to ensure that information and data relating to project deliverables, opportunities, risks and issues are effectively communicated and managed between stakeholders and that key performance indicators are monitored and evaluated.
- Identifying and defining the major strategic issues for the project and integrating diverse stakeholder interests with the project’s broader agenda to inform the development and prioritisation of project initiatives and to proactively understand and mitigate risks. This includes Project life cycle business planning and operating model changes such as the FOC programme.
- Development and implementation of an overall IT and digital strategy for the project to support the efficient implementation of systems and processes.
- Develop a culture, along with systems and processes, to enable innovation and operational excellence in all areas of the project. This should include the ability to seek out share, develop and support the implementation of best practice to ensure the project and partners maximise potential benefits.
The Director of Business Improvement, Systems and Data will:
Demonstrate, through visible leadership, the expected Skanska Costain Strabag JV Culture, Values and Behaviours.
- Act at a programme level, ensuring best for programme behaviours, approaches and decision making.
- Develop an effective team through leadership and culture, structure, recruitment assessment and development of the team and its members.
- Ensure that the Business improvement, Systems and Data team deliver in line with their responsibilities
- Line manage Operational Excellence Director and PCC Director
- Define the Project Controls strategy, lead the design and implementation of a common project management methodology, document control, information flow with standards and tools to drive and facilitate the successful delivery of projects
- Lead the monitoring of the requirements of good project governance, reporting, and review framework to provide a holistic view of all organisational project activity
- Define business strategies and organisational policies to enable the strategic coordination of SCS JV, the 3 operational areas and any projects and initiatives
- Provide a focus on delivering a positive legacy.
The Ideal Candidate
Experience and skills:
· Proven ability to think strategically and to provide valuable input to strategic development and decision making.
· Experience of developing structured processes, procedures and tool sets to facilitate strategic decision making.
· Experience in performance reporting (metrics, dashboards and balanced scorecards). Further experience of reporting on earned value, including the bespoke development of Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
· Experience with cost control, bottom-up forecasting, managing cost to complete reporting production outputs and implementing necessary reporting procedures
· Able to create effective, communication and reporting processes through strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
· Plays a key in role supporting large-scale change programmes which impact people, processes and technology.
· The proven ability to set and achieve change initiatives closely aligned to strategic objectives.