Assistant Utilities Manager
Reporting directly to the Utility Manager. Required to assist in all aspects of utility/project management responsibilities within one of the three delivery areas. They are to support the Utility Manager in delivering multi-million pound value utility diversions and protection works and as such will manage health & safety, commercial and operation requirements across a number of supply chain partners and the main SCS construction teams.
- Manage the progression of any actions required for the diversion, disconnection or protection of assets with the statutory undertakers for those assets.
- Assist where required in the day to day project management of all utility works in the work area, assuming an operational management position as part of a team with responsibility for high value supply chain delivery.
- Manage the integration of planned utility works with the designers to ensure they are designed and planned in a realistic and achievable manner.
- Actively pursue value engineering opportunities for the works within their sector, championing effective opportunities across the project.
- Work with the project team to effectively deliver a range of high complexity construction works to safeguard utility assets along the HS2 route.
- Maintain HS2 and SCS values across the works, reducing waste, emissions and carbon
The Ideal Candidate
- Understanding of utility companies, procedures and requirements
- Understanding of street works and excavations
- Strong understanding of common software applications, Microsoft, Adobe etc
- Experience in managing utility projects
- Utility industry expertise
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.