Assistant Design Manager - Utilities
Reporting to the Utilities PM, An Assistant Utility Design Manager is required to help with the design management of the subcontract utilities design in Area Central, with a focus on the work packages 26.5 A & B – Sewer Lining. An additional Assistant Utility Design Manager will focus on the work packages 26.9 A & B – Main Works Utilities .
Design Management of a selection of design elements on HS2 Lot S1 or Lot S2, ensuring the design is delivered to an acceptable standard of quality in-line with commercial and programme expectations.
Working with the design partners, you will forecast and plan the design delivery for your design elements. You will manage day-to-day interactions with internal (e.g. Construction Teams, Logistics etc.) and external interfaces, with the customer and third-party stakeholders (e.g. Network Rail, London Underground, Thames Water etc.). You will ensure the production of the design deliverables by our design partners meets the correct quality, contract, safety, time and cost requirements. You will also work closely with the other design managers, to ensure coordination of design elements throughout the contract and to identify change.
The Assistant DM responsible to helping manage the documentation required for completion and assurance of the design package, this includes, but not limited to:
- produce and manage the documentation associated with the Technical Assurance for design such as: UTAPs / VVMs / TIDPs associated with each sub-package;
- assist with managing and progress of each sub-package through their separate Design Reviews and L3;
- assist with the coordination of design interfaces;
- responding to Technical Queries, providing input to EW / RRMs;
- assist with review of documents submitted by the subcontractor prior to submission to the client,
- liaise with all internal SCSJV disciplines to ensure requirements are met (eg Consents, U&As, Technical Assurance, Environment, etc);
- attend meetings with the design team / subcontractor, utility companies and interfaces;
- assist preparing design documentation for technical assurance.
- Reviewing client documentation and providing timely input into the design process
- Tracking and reviewing design documentation
- Coordinating the review of documentation with the relevant SCS teams
- Assisting the Design Lead(s) in the review of design resources and outputs
- Ensure that relevant design management plans and assurance plans are adhered to, within area of responsibility
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies
- Implement the relevant requirements of the Safety Management System within their area of responsibility
- Ensure that the Construction Team, Sub-Contractors and Suppliers receive or have access to copies of the relevant Health and Safety as well as Environmental Policy and are kept informed of relevant developments and issues
- Internal liaison with the Construction Team, QA team and Cost Control
- External liaison with HS2, Subcontractors / Suppliers and Stakeholders, close co-ordination with the Design Manager required
- Manage, mentor and develop junior team members and graduate engineers
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or similar.
- Holder of a relevant professional qualification (IEng or CEng), or close to obtaining a professional qualification
- Experience working in a similar capacity for a contractor on a major project is required
- Strong understanding of Engineering Principles
- Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services.
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £4billion with the works due for completion in 2025/6. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.