Assistant Design Manager - Utilities
We currently have a vacancy for a Assistant Design Manager role for our Utilities sector within the HS2 main work project .
You will be responsible for assisting the Design Manager on a selection of utility work packages on HS2 Lot S2, ensuring that the design is delivered to an acceptable standard of quality in line with commercial and programme expectations. you'll need to have a good understanding of design processes, CAD, system, utility drawings and models
Working with the Design Manager, Utility Area Manager and design partners, you will assist in the forecasting and planning of the design delivery for your work packages. You will help manage day-to-day interactions with internal (e.g. Construction Teams, Logistics etc.) and external interfaces, with the customer and third-party stakeholders (e.g. Network Rail, London Underground, Thames Water etc.).
You will ensure the production of the design deliverables by our design partners meet the correct quality, contract, safety, time and cost requirements. You will also work closely with the other Design Managers to ensure coordination of design elements throughout the contract and to identify change
Skillset: Engineering / Design Management / Utilities
Job location: West Ruislip
Accessible by public transport? Yes
Working hours: Weekdays
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Work with the Area Design Managers, Utility Managers and supply chain in the creation and management of utility designs for assets within allocated project area.
- Maintain utility asset design schedules and update the requirements in line with the progression of the design process.
- Work with the SCS Design House to ensure all works that impact utilities are managed and communicated to the relevant team.
- Manage the receipt and recording/transfer of any utility specific/related survey works required to ascertain the exact requirements for both the civil and utility design works.
- Manage Subcontractor design teams to ensure deliverables are produced in line with the project Works Information requirements, on time, to the correct specification and within the allocated budget.
- Ensure relevant duties under the CDM regulations are met and Instill ‘safe by design’ principles in supply chain organisations.
- Manage all sources of utility design for the project. This will involve internal Design House members, Utility Companies, HS2 and third party Lloyds Accredited designers.
- Coordinate the review of documentation with relevant parties.
- Ensure that relevant design management plans and assurance plans are adhered to within area of responsibility.
- Maintain HS2 and SCS values across the works, reducing waste, emissions and carbon.
Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project
The Ideal Candidate
- Good understanding of Engineering Principles.
- Understanding of design processes, CAD systems, utility drawings and models.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction contracts through experience and formal training.
- Technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practice.
- Ability to manage and deliver complex designs to demanding timescales with multiple stakeholders.
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document Control).
- Degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering or similar.
- Holder of relevant professional qualification (IEng or CEng), or working towards obtaining a professional qualification
- Experience of working on large-scale multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
- Experience of producing/managing design process for multi-utility projects
Relevant CSCS Card and/or SMSTS qualification.