Area Temporary Works Manager
The Area Temporary Works Manager must have a proven track record acting as a TWC on large scale civil engineering projects. Knowledge and experience are the key attributes for the role along with strong interpersonal organizational team working skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
You will be expected to manage a small team of TWC’s, TWS’s and TWD’s and coordinate design managers. The role covers one of the three principle construction sites which make up the MWCC S1/S2 project. You will be required to ensure that all Temporary Works are adequately and safely designed, constructed, implemented and removed in accordance with Project Procedures.
A working understanding of the principles of BS:5975 is required along with an awareness of PAS 8811 and PAS 8812 standards.
You will be responsible to the project wide, Senior Project Manager (Temporary Works)
- Understand and apply the principals of PC’s TWC as defined in BS5975:2019, PAS8811:2017 and all other applicable standards, including HS2 and SCS TW Procedures and Technical Standards.
- Agree with the Designers/Checkers and other Parties on the level of risk and design check;
- Coordinate all Temporary Works activities;
- Ensure that a detailed design brief has been produced, with full consultation, is adequate and is in accordance with the actual situation on site;
- Advise the permanent works designer of any temporary conditions, or loads, that should be considered in the permanent works design;
- Ensure that a satisfactory Temporary Works design is carried out;
- Ensure that the design is independently checked for concept, structural adequacy and compliance with the brief
- Register or record the drawings, calculations and other relevant documents relating to the final design;
- Ensure TW documentation is adequately maintained within the site management systems;
- Ensure that those responsible for on-site supervision receive full design details, with significant risks and design limitations highlighted;
- Ensure that checks are made at appropriate stages covering the more critical factors;
- Ensure that any proposed changes in materials or construction are checked against the original design and appropriate action taken;
- Ensure that any agreed changes or corrections of faults, are correctly carried out on site;
- Ensure that during use all appropriate maintenance and routine inspection is carried out;
- Issue formal permit to load/proceed if final check(s) prove satisfactory;
- Obtain the criteria that allows the temporary works to be removed;
- Ensure temporary load cases are adequately considered;
- When it has been confirmed that the permanent structure has attained adequate strength required by the design, issue formal permission to dismantle the Temporary Works.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
- Mentor TWS’s and site engineers
- Provide specific briefings on the limitations of Temporary works schemes in conjunction with the designer where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- Civil or Structural Engineering Qualification, minimum of an HNC/HND, preferably BEng or higher (MEng, MSc).
- Extensive TWC experience.
- CSCS Card
- CITB Temporary Works Coordinator Course
- Completed SMSTS (preferred)
- Understanding and application of BS5975:2008+A1:2011/2019.
- Thorough understanding and application of the CDM Regulations 2015.
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services
The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2.
It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.