Apprentice Surveying Assistant
Required to work within a team of Surveyors and Monitoring Engineers, on site, assisting in the day to day supervision of a subcontractor and assisting the lead surveyor with site duties and monitoring.
- Assist surveyor in providing a rapid response when triggers are breached
- Assist surveyor with any I&M monitoring required
- Assist with managing Geo-Socotec’s onsite safety, quality, and programme performance
- Assist with planning works in detail with Geo-Socotec
- Assist survey team in ensuring everything is in place to execute the works including paperwork and plant.
- Assist with review of shift reports produced by Geo-Socotec
- Produce their own shift reports / site diary
- Assist with onsite surveys when required, to facilitate works
- Carry out maintenance and cleaning of survey equipment
The Ideal Candidate
- Good work ethic.
- Good time keeping and positive attitude.
- No experience working with survey equipment is required but an interest in a survey career is a benefit.
- Aspire to be competent in basic land surveying techniques and able to carry out supervised field work.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Keen to gain experience in other site disciplines.
- Interest in learning to understand drawings and other electronic design information.
- Generally keen to learn.
- Be able to maintain and take care of survey equipment.
- Basic understanding of the importance of health and safety on construction sites.
- Competent in using Microsoft Office products. E.g. Word and Excel
About the Company
The role will work on the HS2 project. HS2 is the UK’s new high speed rail network. It will be a catalyst for economic growth across Britain, freeing up space on the existing railways and connecting 8 out of the UK’s 10 biggest cities with fast, reliable and frequent high speed services The Skanska | Costain | STRABAG (SCS JV) is delivering the HS2 Main Civils Contracts which include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The combined value of the contracts is around £1.8billion with the works due for completion in 2025. Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM), SCL tunnels, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, services diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds. You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador). Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example. HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we require candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and we will not share any of your data with other parties. All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. It is an SCSJV requirement that all employees, Design House, and Supply Chains must implement and comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System, ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System with guidance for use”, OHSAS 18001:2017 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems and ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information Security Management System, Policies, Plans, Procedures and Processes, and statutory requirements as they affect the Joint Venture ‘s operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are effectively implemented on the project. Develop a culture of safety on the project through the absolute commitment to the Zero Accidents target and ethos, and develops a wider awareness of quality, environmental issues and demonstrates commitment to achieve continual improvement and Zero tolerance. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status